Just RMA'd a failing WD2001FASS-00U0B0 and the new one is also bad

Hi, Just as the topic said I just did an RMA with a WD2001FASS-00U0B0 2tb hard drive because of black block errors in the Windows event viewer, random system crashes, persistent check disk after every proper shutdown during the startup phase and failing of the quick test.

I just installed the drive a few days ago and today 10.31 it is already starting with the similar symptoms.

1)The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block. (refereeing to the failing WD drive)

2)Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
(again the same drive, the quick test passes perfectly on my other 3 drives)

What do you do, another RMA? I just got the drive and RMA is a bit of a hassle as this is the primary running drive. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank You.

Aram

Hello,

I’ll recommend you to contact WD directly, perhaps you can request a different drive model. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Thank you Nesvic, I went ahead and wrote an e-mail to support and it seems they are going to do another RMA.

Lets hope for the best,

Aram

please confirm if your psu can handle with all the drives :slight_smile:

As far as I can tell my power supply (Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 Series Modular 1000W) should be more than capable?

Aram