Just ordered one - input please

I just ordered a WD TV live streaming media player from Best Buy because it was on sale, the model number is WDBHG70000NBK-HESN.

I’m becoming a bit worried that I wasted my money after looking over the forums. Last year, I remember reading awesome reviews on WDTV players, so I thought it would be an awesome buy, and now I’m seeing horrible reviews with Netflix/Hulu not working, extremely laggy, etc.

My primary use for this is to stream my own content from a external hard drive. Will I be disappointed with this WDTV ? If anyone doesn’t care, please provide some feedback on streaming your own content from this media player, and some feedback on the WDTV media player in general. I’ve read mixed reviews on the Netflix/Hulu not working, so please put your location(state/country) and give some feedback on whether or not it works for you.  All in all, are you satisfied with it or disappointed?

Any input would  be GREATLY APPRICATED.

don’t sweat it

you just bought one of the best media players currently available

netflix, not a member

hulu, works fine here in the US

although I prefer to use serviio for my hulu viewing needs :slight_smile:

and yes, I’m glad I upgraded to the SMP

every media player out there has some issues, the WD included

but dare I say,  I’d guess 70+ % of issues reported on these forums, have more to do with user error than anything else

particularly if you’re discussing network lag or studdering video’s, that specific category is more like 90% user issues

KAD79 wrote:

don’t sweat it

you just bought one of the best media players currently available

netflix, not a member

hulu, works fine here in the US

although I prefer to use serviio for my hulu viewing needs :slight_smile:

and yes, I’m glad I upgraded to the SMP

every media player out there has some issues, the WD included

but dare I say,  I’d guess 70+ % of issues reported on these forums, have more to do with user error than anything else

particularly if you’re discussing network lag or studdering video’s, that specific category is more like 90% user issues

I’m definiately feeling a bit better about it after reading your post.  If I can get a solid year out of the WDTV(streaming my own content and Hulu working),  I’d be more than satisfied. It was a bit of a shock to me when I got back on the forums after I purchased one and reading horrible reviews, given the fact everything I had ever read on these have been top notch.

I am curious as to the location of those reporting Netflix/Hulu not working. From everything I’ve read, most of the trouble seems to be those that are outside of the US. I hate it for them, but I’m hoping that is the case.  Hulu/Netflix is not a need, as my main focus is to stream my own content, but it would be a nice plus if it works great.

This is my first time with a media player. For the past couple of years I have been using an Xbox 360 with a flash drive, and PlayOn. I’m sick of paying for Xbox Live, hence is the biggest reason I’m wanting a media player. I have a lot of DVDs, so I won’t get short on content.

Thanks for the quick reply!

valkillmore wrote:

Some things I noticed as I am also a new user, only about 4 days ahead of you.

• If using the Media Library option be patient while it builds, and if using ‘auto’ content feature, be even more patient.  Both these processes slow the device down signigicantly, and can lead to freezes if you start messing with folders or features while they are in process.

In other words, let it do its thing and leave it alone while building your library.  Jamming it up and freezing it only means starting the media library compiling all over, and a delay in content finding.  ESPECIALLY if you have a giant library like myself.  

There are third party PC based apps that can help build your library content data like WDTV HubGen, or Thumbgen or a few others if you prefer not letting the device hunt for content.   

• In my opinion, the provided remote is not up to snuff so I went with a wifi android app, which seems to be much more responsive, and convenient as I can play on my tablet and control the device at the same time.  I am not using the WD app, but another third party one that has a keyboard send text option…VERY HANDY for entering keypad entries where ever needed, rather than the PS3 style onscreen keyboard combined with provided remote. (Especially for RSS feeds)

• Once your Media Library is built, I suggest going thru and picking favorites, then using the favorites quick menu (from homescreen push down direction).  It has a queue, recently played…you can add services or files or folders to favorites.  I find this helps me get to desired folders files and favorite services (Weather and Netflix) super quick.

• READ,READ,READ…you will find previous  answers, and or help in the forum.  

Once you get it figured out, it is well worth it.   I haven’t dove into the functionality of the audio or photo sections yet, but as far as movies and tv shows, I haven’t come across one it can’t play across a wide variety of formats, with and without subs.   My Netflix is working fine, both the Canadian and American sites.

I appreciate the reply.

I haven’t ever heard of Thumbgen but after reading up on it, it does sound promising and is a huge plus over the Roku. I’m curious if what you are saying about letting it load before doing anything is what is causing others WDTVs to freeze and become really buggy. I do have a decent sized media library, but inputting the content myself would definitely be the route I go.

I still have plenty of reading to do, but tonight once I get some free time, I plan on starting at the very last page and reading it all. I do not have the device yet, and probably won’t for another 3-4 days because of shipping, so I’m going to read all that I can until then. If anyone else would like to share their experience with this device, I’d love to read it.

One great thing about placing the order with Best Buy is the extended holiday gift return. It will give me an extra month with the device to decide if it’s right for me or not, if not, I’ll return for a refund and purchase the Roku. I’m really hoping to have a good experience once I get it, as I have had my eye on a WDTV since last year. As I said, if Hulu & the streaming from a hard drive works, and I can get at least a year out of it, I’ll be more than happy.

I do have another question, any idea if putting an internal HDD into a USB 2.0 external hard drive enclosure would work on the WDTV? It works with all of my computers, but I’m not sure if it will work on the WDTV. I have 3 internal HDDs filled with moves in AVI format that I ripped as I bought them and stored them on internal HDDs in case I ever need them. If not, I guess I’ll need to purchase a new external.

Again, thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

FWIW, I’ve got one of these setup using WiFi to connect to my home DSL and it works fine for Hulu (although I don’t bother with Hulu or Netflix).

As for streaming - which is what you want - it works great. I set up a Freenas server on my home network to hold my media files (4terabytes worth) and again, no problems. I’ve also simply plugged in cheapo external drives to the USB port with no problems. I agree with the previous posting about being patient during the initial load. It takes a bit of time for the thing to read stuff but then you’re good to go. I think that is more a function of the devices attached.

I also use a wireless miniature keyboard/mouse combo (similar to this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823839011)) instead of the included remote.

Mine Turned up this monring, £63-00 delivered new, Got to say very impressed, all worked out of the box, Android App as well makes typing easy.

Twonky media seems good too.

The Real reason though I got this was for netflix, (Netflix works fine) so much better than using a laptop to tv, sound is good via Digital.

I have not tried streaming Video from twonky, but music seems fine.

Only bad points so far:-

1/ Not sure Itunes is compatible, I use itunes for other hardware, and all my playlists on itunes

2/ No UK catch up services except BBC, Rather dissapointed in this. I hope it can be updated at a later date.

silvered>>>>    if not, I’ll return for a refund and purchase the Roku

The WDTV and Roku are both media players, but that is where the distinction ends.  They are quite different from one another , and what you intend to do with your WD, (stream your DVDs) you cannot do (easily, if at all) with a Roku.

I have had both units for a long time, and each one has its specialty.

Sorry it’s taken so long for me to reply. I’ve been busy and haven’t had a chance to reply. I do have one more question, the WDTV Live(Gen 3) works with any USB 2.0 external hard drive, right? While I’m not sure if my internal HDD that is in an external USB 2.0 enclosure will work with it, I’m looking at a 2 different external HDDs, which are the Western Digital My Passport Essential and a Toshiba Canvio. It’s my understanding that it will work with any USB 2.0 external HDD, I’m just looking for a little reassurance before I drop 60 bucks on one.

Thanks for all of the replies so far guys. I feel better about my purchase and I should have the WDTV in my hands within the week! I can’t wait.

SSVTLLC wrote:

FWIW, I’ve got one of these setup using WiFi to connect to my home DSL and it works fine for Hulu (although I don’t bother with Hulu or Netflix).

As for streaming - which is what you want - it works great. I set up a Freenas server on my home network to hold my media files (4terabytes worth) and again, no problems. I’ve also simply plugged in cheapo external drives to the USB port with no problems. I agree with the previous posting about being patient during the initial load. It takes a bit of time for the thing to read stuff but then you’re good to go. I think that is more a function of the devices attached.

I also use a wireless miniature keyboard/mouse combo (similar to this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823839011)) instead of the included remote.

Awesome. I’m for sure going to look into a keyboard for it. I’ve read a good deal on it, and most everyone says it’s worth it just for convenience.

Yes, works fine. I stuck a spare drive into an external enclosure and have had no problems. 

I’m looking at a 2 different external HDDs. . . .

I recommend you buy a drive with an auto-sleep mode that can stop spinning and go to standby when not being used.  All my drives for my media players are of this type.  I particularly like the newest ones I got by Seagate called the Free Agent GoFlex drive.  It is a compact 2.5 inch drive enclosure that is USB 3.0.  I got the 1TB size for around $100. Even if the device it gets connected to now is only USB 2.0, it works, so I am somewhat future-proofed, and the price diff isn’t that much more.  The sleep time is adjustable via drive’s software, and the default time of 5 minutes is fine with me.  WD likely has similar types of drives as well.