Just ordered a 4tb My Cloud. Any advice?

I’ve been reading this really useful forum for the last 2hrs, and I’m a little worried about my purchase.
Does the device actually works?
I’m planning to use the My Cloud as a dlna server for my many photos, videos and music files.
I’d also like to use it to backup and share photos from phones and tablets.
It should work on paper but from what I am reading it couldn’t.
I’m on a wireless gigabit connection, planning to keep the device always on.
Should I stick to latest v3 firmware?
Even with the latest v3 firmware, should I kill the “refresh” processes?
What happens if I kill the processes with dlna enabled? How is the library updated?
And advice I couldn’t think of?
Thank you.

Ps: should I just cancel the order and get a sinology?

I use mine for exactly what you are planning to do and it works just fine but some people find the device a bit slow.  My advice would be to have a good read of the manual and ensure you have it connected up correctly.

The first thing I would do when it is up and running is disable auto firmware update in the dashboard, settings/firmware if it asks you to update say no.  I never update firmware on any device without a good reason to do it as it always comes with risks.

If you have descent hardware, router network adapters etc chances are it will work just fine and you will be pleased with it.  

Depending on the amount of data you have to transfer to it it might take a while :smileyvery-happy: I just left mine going and it got there in the end.  These things are designed to be powered up all the time ,unless you can get sleep mode working !! and draw minimal power.

Good luck if you have any issues or questions someone is likely to be able to help you on here.

Thanks for your reply.
Is sleep mode not working?
Is the device always draining maximum power even when not used? What about the hdd? It doesn’t ho to sleep too?

Some people have had issues with the sleep mode on their mycloud I have never hacked my unit or loaded torrent software on it and mine works fine.

Most likely yours will be OK as well and you will see the blue light flash when it is asleep.  I think they draw about 12 watts in use and 7 watts in idle, not sure about sleep mode.

Not sure if energy saver is enabled by default so you might want to check that when it is up and working.

Shocchiz wrote:
I’ve been reading this really useful forum for the last 2hrs, and I’m a little worried about my purchase.
Does the device actually works?
I’m planning to use the My Cloud as a dlna server for my many photos, videos and music files.
I’d also like to use it to backup and share photos from phones and tablets.
It should work on paper but from what I am reading it couldn’t.
I’m on a wireless gigabit connection, planning to keep the device always on.
Should I stick to latest v3 firmware?
Even with the latest v3 firmware, should I kill the “refresh” processes?
What happens if I kill the processes with dlna enabled? How is the library updated?
And advice I couldn’t think of?
Thank you.

Ps: should I just cancel the order and get a sinology?

Search for scanning and slow on this forum for a work around.  Don’t upgrade to v4 firmware.  If you’re not comfortable with those two things return the NAS for a refund and get a Synology.

It will work just fine for you, take care and patience with setting up and you’ll have a very useful piece of hardware.

As others say, don’t upgrade the firmware, and set auto firmware update to off.

Been using mine for just what you intend for the past three months and have been very happy indeed. Enjoy your purchase!

Synology products are more expensive but they aremuch, much easier to use, in all use cases of the WD MyCloud. This NAS is as fast as a single disk Synology though, and it is completely silent, whereas the Synology does somedisk and fan noise (about 17db).

I discovered NAS potential through the WD MyCloud, but I outgrew very fast the capabilities and got really tired of the quirks, instability and the last firmware was the last straw that broke the piggy back.

I splurged for a Synology and I use this NAS as a backup of the Synology. Now everything is smooth and fast for basic things like re-connecting to the shares, launching iTunes, viewing videos locally or remotely, moving files around, synching across computers with cloud software. On Synology, you can install apps like audio/radio apps, cloud backup apps, security anti-virus apps, video surveillance apps, and even P2P download apps. The video apps automatically adds metadata about the movies and the TV Shows.

If you like tinkering with computers and you would like to learn Linux under CPU and memory contraints, this cloud is a great learning platform, and you will have plenty of experts in this forum.

Well, as I found this NAS for €170, while a 4tb WD red is about €140 (I assume it’s using a red disk…) I guess I can just take the hdd out and still be happy.
But I hope I will sort the problems out, I am familiar with Linux and I can try :slight_smile:

Well, I’m having no problem so far.
Latest v3 fw, fixed ip adress, that’s all.
NAS is n’è art full, thousands of photos and video and not a single lock up or disconnect, transfer speed as expected, cloud apps working.
I’m really satisfied, glad I hadn’t the problems I’ve been reading of.

I had issues out the box, upgraded to v4 firmware after switching on the device for the first time.

Then had slow transfer issues, it got better over time I was reaching speeds of 20MB/s to 40MB/s.

I then decided to remove all my stuff again and do System Restore, I’m now getting copying speeds of 50MB/s sometimes topping off near 90MB/s.

I switched off ALL medai serving functions whilst i move my Media/photos onto the device.

I’ll then re-enable them when everything has copied across and leave it to rebuild the library content.