Just one question about My Cloud

Hi,

Even though it does not have raid, which is kind of abusive for NAS with 4TB of data, My Cloud is almost appealing to me.

Except I have one question: what If want to connect the drive directly to a computer, be for file transfert or maintenance, knowing that in 2013 absolutely none of my computer have an Ethernet port ?

Can I do this with the USB3 port, or is there another port?

No.   It’s a NAS.  It’s meant to be plugged into a NETWORK, not directly to a computer.

If all you want is an external drive, then just get a USB / Firewire / Thunderbolt drive.

Your only other option is to buy a USB3 to Ethernet “dongle” and do it that way – but that still makes no sense…  there’s just no reason I can think of to need to plug any NAS directly into a computer.

You cannot connect it directly to the computer via a usb port. You would need a ethernet port. The usb port on the mycloud is purely for adding an extra usb drive.

You could try a usb to ethernet adaptor .

This makes perfect sense: I just want a cloud connected hard-drive.

Of course it would be connected to my router, but then I should **bleep**ing simply be able to connect to a computer for transfert or maintenance purpose.

Because, what happens if have have internet problem? I can’t access my files at all? That’s ridiculous in 2013.

If you are worried about your router going down you could always pick up a $30 travel router off newegg, which would essentially make your mycloud wiress.  You don’t need an internet connection to access my cloud wirelessly, just a router.

If it’s any consolation, you can at least hook the my cloud directly to your PC with a usb ethernet port as suggested. No need for a router. I was surprise to find this on page 120 of the manual:

My router has failed. How do you manually map the drive letter?
1. Power down the device.
2. Connect the device directly to the computer’s Ethernet port.

I’ve done this & it works fine.  Windows “ad hoc” networking make this work, assigning each device an IP address.  You can even have the drive connected to your ethernet port while you are connected to the internet via wireless.

I haven’t looked up the numbers, but off the top of my head real world gigabit ethernet will be faster than USB 3.0… at the very least comperable.

Augure wrote:

Of course it would be connected to my router, but then I should **bleep**ing simply be able to connect to a computer for transfert or maintenance purpose.

Because, what happens if have have internet problem? I can’t access my files at all? That’s ridiculous in 2013.

You do ALL the maintenance and transfers via your network.   That’s the whole point of a NAS.

If you have internet problems, only remote access will be affected.   In case you didn’t know, you aren’t using the internet when you’re accessing things locally.