Just bought a used G-RAID 2Tb

I just bought a used G-RAID 2Tb drive . S/N W802150138 OG00272 GR42000 EMEA

Hope the above is enough to identify the exact unit ?

Anyway I purchased the unit on eBay and it arrived a couple of hours ago ; although it came without a power supply , from an IT recycling company , I have four other G-RAID units of the same series , and three G-DRIVE units as well as a G-DRIVE Mini , so am not new to these units , and had a spare power supply ready to use .

When I connected the drive to my early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 running El Capitan 10.11.6 Firewire 800 bus ( daisy chained with my other seven drives ) I got a message that the drive required to be initialised ; I went into disk utility and tried to format as Mac OSX extended journaled , but when this was done my 2Tb drive only registered as 1Tb .

The apple system report shows the drive with a child count of 2 , but only one drive being recognised … disk 10s1 having a capacity of 209.7 MB and disk 10s2 having a capacity of 999.81 GB

Is this pointing to one of the internal disks being faulty , or is it just not formatted correctly ?

The disk utility is only recognising one RAID member disk . I also connected to my old PowerMac G5 which still runs OSX 10.5.8 with the old disk utility with the ability to create RAID sets ( although I have used terminal on my MacPro to set up my G-Speed eS after I got it , so am aware of that method too ) .

Before I complain to the vendor of this drive , have I missed anything I might try ?

That drive has a hardware RAID controller so the system will only ever see 1 drive. It is possible the previous owner converted it to RAID1 with a long lost G-RAID mini configurator. They were never supported but the old software allowed you to change the RAID on the large G-RAIDs.

We haven’t had the software to change the old RAID mini controller for years now however.

OK thanks , I’ve emailed the vendor to see what he proposes . All my other ones are RAID 0 .

I’ll have a look and see if I can find the configurator somewhere …

… however , the Apple disk utility does show the member discs of the RAID arrays ( except for this questionable one ) .

Update - I found the G-RAID mini configurator on this very website , within the Software & Downloads section - there are two versions , one for G-RAID mini with Oxford chipset , and one for JMicron .

The latter , once downloaded and installed , turns out to be a ‘universal’ configurator .

Before running , it warns to disconnect all other G-RAID arrays from the computer , lest they be corrupted by this action , and to connect the drive to be reconfigured by Firewire 800 only .

With the above requirements being met , the software found my G-RAID array , and gave me the option to configure either as RAID 0 or RAID 1 . Once I selected RAID 0 and hit the configure button , I was asked a couple of times if I was sure , as all data on the drive would be erased ( there was nothing on the drive as I had just bought it and previously erased in the Apple disk utility ) , then the process took just a few seconds . I was then asked to initialise the disk , at which point it mounted as a 2 TB drive .

I then just reformatted as Mac OSX extended journaled , reset the desktop icon , using the icons from the G-TECH disc , and now all is good .

Hopefully this info will be helpful to others who may find themselves in my position .