Jumper settings for SATA-I - Compatibility with older Mobo

Hello - I have a WD Internal 500gB drive that I’m trying to mate up with an older aBit K8T800 AV8 Mobo.  I believe I have a jumper to set on the drive so that it is compatible/works with SATA-I as this is an older Mobo.  The drive is labeled:  SATA/16mb cache and its model no is:  WD5000AAKS - 00D280.  I think this new drive should auto-adjust for this situation but it does not.

Can someone guide me to the proper jump settings?  I see an 8pin, dual row set of pins on the back of the drive.   I know we’re not dealing with the traditional IDE-based “Master/Slave” relationships - I am just believing that I need a setting on the drive to “slow it down” so that it works with the older controller.

I have attempted to install Windows XP but pressing the F6 and the “detour” with load the drivers from a floppy comes up fine but always fails with “No drifve can be found” message.  I have the floppy set up (I think) correctly.  I have tried at least three sets of drivers downloaded from the aBit website:  http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff2/whftherb/th_DvrDL_SATA_12-21-20109-41-59AM.jpg?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.

H

WD5000AAKS support  page

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1400&p_created=&p_cats=185&p_cv=1.185&p_pv=2.295&p_prods=227%2C295#jumper

OPT1 jumper, so for a sata 3.0 drive (as you have, upper 3 images)

jumper pins 5,6

pins second from the left

(sata power / sata data / jumpers / molex connector [if equipped])

Beautiful!!!

That is the answer.  The drive is now present and almost takes a Windows XP install,  But…

One thing more, if you know…

Is there a specific way (or file structure) to set up the floppy.  I get almost through and I get an error stating that it “…can’t locate viasraid.sys” and if I skip this one “…can locate viasraid.cab”.   Looking at the disk with Explorer, I see both of those are present, tucked within a folder right under the root, beneath txtsetup.oem sitting at the root, the main “script” if you will.  I think this will fly, if I can just get over this hurdle…

Thanks ever so much, even if you don’t know the next answer.

H

Hoibie wrote:

Is there a specific way (or file structure) to set up the floppy.  I get almost through and I get an error stating that it “…can’t locate viasraid.sys” and if I skip this one “…can locate viasraid.cab”.   Looking at the disk with Explorer, I see both of those are present, tucked within a folder right under the root, beneath txtsetup.oem sitting at the root, the main “script” if you will.  I think this will fly, if I can just get over this hurdle…

sounds like your floppy disk has bad sectors on it.

you got another one?

OK, one final thing, please.  I’m still getting the same “unable to copy file viasraid.sys” when I’ve used three diff floppies and loaded each of them through three different floppy dirves (mounted temporarily outside the case).  In some instances (randomly) I get the old “Unable to find any disks” even with the driver accepted and loaded.

So, I think I may need some help in actually structuring this SATA driver disk.   Should I open up a new thread for that problem?

And, yes, I will “accept” your last as the top (and only) answer!

Thanks.

H

The following document explains the structure of the TxtSetup.oem file.

TxtSetup.oem File Format:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff553509(v=vs.85).aspx

Hi - take a quick look at this and give me your opinion as to how accurate or reliable the repositioning of these sections of the file might be?  http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1270168191  Because apparently the order I’ve got them within the file now isn’t doing the job.

And I also have this question:  Where the entire file seems to refer to “SCSI” interfaces and drivers and/or RAID drivers, these seemingly conflicting terms:  are they at all related to the SATA setup business?  Have I got the right driverset?  I don’t think RAID or SCSI are the same things as SATA, in other words am I barking up the wrong tree?

I obtained the set from here:  http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_driver.php?pFUN_KEY=9000&pTITLE_IMG=/download/images/download.gif  These should be the correct files for an AV8 K8T800 Mobo.  I know I’ve gotten a little past just talking about WD drive tehcnology here and I’ve gotten more into the mobo end of things.  Again, if I need to go elsewhere, I will…

H

This is all new territory for me (I’m still a Win98SE user), but it doesn’t sound like your problem is the same as the one described in that link.

Instead I suggest you download this archive:
ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/driver2/sata_driverdisk/via_sata_v102.zip

It contains a file, RFDGen.exe, which will automatically create a VIA SATA driver floppy diskette for you (RFDGen = RAID Floppy Diskette Generator ?).

This appears to be the OS driver set:
ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/driver2/via_sata/v430g.zip

It includes a “drvdisk” directory, but no RFDGen.exe file.

FYI, here are other SATA driver diskette archives:
ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/driver2/sata_driverdisk/