Jpeg numbering problem

I have contacted WD support( Mandy) with my problem. Received a standard email on how to format my passport for my Mac, which I knew, but didn’t answer my question.
In my original support email I said the passport for Mac worked WELL until I upgraded to Mac OS X high Sierra . It became read only…I then reformatted Mac OS extended journaled. The my passport WORKS NOW,.BUT when I backup my catalog from photoshop elements 18 , my passport gives each photo a new sequential JPEG number. In Sierra , the JPEG files backed up without problem and retained their proper JPEG number. I went on knowledge base and found nothing. The issue is NOT with the photoshop software.

Any help?
Thanks

ps… using my passport external HDD purchased in the last 6 months.

Well, Passports don’t name anything. Something running on the computer is responsible for naming.

Are you using WD’s backup software, or something else? If you’re using WD Backup or Smartware, are you configuring it to SYNC or use ordinary backups?

If you’re doing ordinary backups, then you don’t need to be concerned with the file names – the backup catalog is maintaining that information internally. And, of course, with ordinary backups, you shouldn’t be trying to recovery or use the files in any way other than through a RESTORE.

Thanks Tony,
I know that the backup numbers are irrelevant. I just wanted to know why when I backed my jpeg catalog from photoshop directly the number ordering changed in Mac High Sierra. Not the case in Sierra before I reformatted the drive.
As you’ll probably agree ‘it’s academic’ but I like to know why when something changes.

Mark