Joined Domain but Domain Users not Appearing in Dashboard

Hi:

Using the Dashboard, I joined my DX 4000 to our Microsoft Active Directory domain.  It asked me for domain admin credentials, which I entered and it accepted.  However, the domain users did not appear in the Dashboard Users list for me to then assign shared folder rights.  The original local users still appeared.  So, in the Dashboard, I selected a specific Active Directory group called ‘Domain Users’ to have access.  However, the users in that group still did not appear in the Dashboard Users.  How can I populate Active Directory users in the Dashboard users group?

Also, is there a way to logon to Windows Storage Server console directly to install software.  I don’t think we can install software through the Dashboard, correct?  I want to install an agent that backs up data to the cloud.

Thank you!

For the issue with the AD users not showing in the Dashboard, you can take a look to this article.

To install software to the Sentinel you need to login using Remote Desktop Connection

1 Like

IT_Tropolis wrote:

Hi:

Using the Dashboard, I joined my DX 4000 to our Microsoft Active Directory domain.  It asked me for domain admin credentials, which I entered and it accepted.  However, the domain users did not appear in the Dashboard Users list for me to then assign shared folder rights.  The original local users still appeared.  So, in the Dashboard, I selected a specific Active Directory group called ‘Domain Users’ to have access.  However, the users in that group still did not appear in the Dashboard Users.  How can I populate Active Directory users in the Dashboard users group?

Also, is there a way to logon to Windows Storage Server console directly to install software.  I don’t think we can install software through the Dashboard, correct?  I want to install an agent that backs up data to the cloud.

Thank you!

In my experience, the active directory group must be defined as a “Security Group” for you to be able to import it to WD Sentinel. Also given the 25 User Account limit, the # of users in the group should be less than or equal to 25. 

Since you already have some local user accounts defined, the number of users you can import will be the difference between 25 and # of local users you already have defined in your WD Sentinel Dashboard.

You may also want to check out Microsoft Help on this topic here:

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/storageserver2008r2/manage-domain-users-3.aspx

Hope this helps!

-Vineet

1 Like

FWIW, the user do not sho up imediately when you use the wizzard to join the domain

1 Like

I had to allow port 88 TCP & UDP on my domain server.

1 Like

Hi all,

I have a same problem but with WD MyBook World Edition ii. I dis-joined it from the domain (because i had some problems with the shares) and try to rejoin it again (with this procedure i fixed the problem few months ago). But this time domain users don’t appear in my users section. I tried  Vadir’s recommendation, but nothing changed.

Thanks in advance!