I've done it again

I have bought a device on the strength of internet reviews and not googled the forums.

My bad.

I bought the WD My Cloud 3 TB from Tesco on friday.

The first thing that happened was it updated its firmware to the lates release (4.0).

I wanted it to replace an old NG NAS that has served me well but is not great at media serving.

I started to copy a folder across from the NAS to the My Cloud and was taken aback by how slow it was, less than 800 GB was according to my Ubuntu desktop going to take more that 30 hours.

This on a gigabit wired network.

I copied a few hundred GBs across and left it till today.

I then copied a 10GB file from the My Cloud to the Ubuntu desktop.  It was going to take 2 hours at 1.6MB/sec on a gigabit wired network.

I then copied the same file from my NAS that is only connected at 100Mb/s.  It achieved 34.6 MB/sec.

According to the review on trustedreviews.com it should achieve around 92MB/sec.

I should have come here before buying and seen the problems others have been having for ages without any sign of an official fix.

I refuse to hack the firmware of a brand new device so if there is no likelyhood of a repaired firmware in the very near future then Tesco will be getting this box back as unfit for purpose.

valk99 wrote:

I then copied the same file from my NAS that is only connected at 100Mb/s.  It achieved 34.6 MB/sec.

These numbers, and thus your conclusions, are suspect.

It’s impossible to get 34.6 MB/sec on a NAS that has only 100Mb/sec connectivity.

The absolute maximum possible is 12.5 MB/sec on a 100MB/sec connection.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

valk99 wrote:

These numbers, and thus your conclusions, are suspect.

It’s impossible to get 34.6 MB/sec on a NAS that has only 100Mb/sec connectivity.

The absolute maximum possible is 12.5 MB/sec on a 100MB/sec connection.

Yes, you are right as Google has just confirmed for me.  I have little network expertise so I didn’t spot the error.

The LG is an LG-N2A2 and I guessed that it was 100Mb as that was the speed of my network when I installed it back in the day.

It does indeed connect at 1000 on the upgraded network I now have.

However, my point remains.  I get a fraction of the speed that I achieve from the LG and a couple of percent of the speed that I was expecting.

edit:

I have just copied a 2.8 GB file from the desktop of my Ubuntu PC to both devices.

My Cloud uploaded at 15.6 MB/sec progressing to 16.5 MB/sec at the end.

The LG uploaded at a steady 25.3 MB/sec

Sounds like you have already made your mind up. Nobody on this forum can promise you anything better… 

Are you just looking for reassurance… or just trying to add to the bad-mouthing? What do you want from us?

I might have a solution to my particular problem although it is not an explanation.
I have a Ubuntu 14.04 OS running on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Mainboard.
I have a Windows 7 OS running on an Asus P8P67 Mainboard.

They are both connected through the same Netgear GS108 switch to the My Cloud.

The poor performance figures I have given were from the Ubuntu rig.

Trying the same upload/download file on the windows 7 rig with virus enabled I get -

Download initial burst 89.5 MB/sec steadying to around 49.8 MB/sec

Upload initial burst 83.5 MB/sec steadying to around 74.5 MB/sec.

Very happy with that but it would be good if the Ubuntu setup which I use for all but gaming would perform better.

davidrob wrote:

Sounds like you have already made your mind up. Nobody on this forum can promise you anything better… 

Are you just looking for reassurance… or just trying to add to the bad-mouthing? What do you want from us?

Sorry if I have upset you by having a problem that I hoped someone on the forum could help with.

As it turns out I have found a work around that satisfies me and may point to a possible explanation for my experience.

I can’t be blamed for worrying about getting a fix from WD when I searched the forum and found that others have had similar problems and are still waiting for a solution.

At least I can now upload/download at the sort of speeds I was expecting although it would be nice if I didn’t have to change OS’s to get there.