iTunes Remote Access

Hi,

I recently bought a WD MyCloud 4TB, and was under the impression that I would be able to use it to store my iTunes library, and to access it both at home and remotely. My Macbook Pro doesn’t have enough storage space to store my whole library.

I’ve copied everything over onto the MyCloud drive, and when I’m at home, iTunes works beautifully via my network. The thing is, I’m not sure how I could possibly use iTunes when I’m on wifi somewhere else, like at work. I’m beginning to think maybe it’s not even possible, seeing I only seem to be able to access my files on the MyCloud remotely by using the browser interface.

Any advice here would be great! Thanks.

Officially there is no method for iTunes to access the My Cloud remotely. Generally for remote access one would use the MyCloud.comm web portal, FTP, WD My Cloud Desktop, WD Sync, or the WD mobile apps for iOS/Android.

There may be unofficial ways to enable iTunes access remotely but that may involve using SSH or setting up your own VPN network/connection. One possible way is to remote map the My Cloud using teh CloudDAVMod. Note this unofficial mod is for the older 1st generation v4.x firmware My Clouds.

https://community.wd.com/t/app-clouddavmod-various-versions-for-firmware-v4-09-2016/161543

There may be other options like using an alternate OS, do a forum search to find those threads.