iTunes file system

I’m having problems getting iTunes to see my media files. I am putting the files in the [public>shared music] folder but when selecting WDMyCLoud on itunes they are not there.

Do I need to have at least one computer on the network using this location as its itunes folder so there is an iTunes library file on the shared music folder?

Do you have to put the files in that folder directly or can they be categorised in to artiest/album?

Thanks

It looks like the My Cloud Home uses Plex instead of iTunes Server. See the post below

If you want to listen to your iTunes music put a copy of the iTunes Media folder on the Home and use app to listen to it with an app.

Currently the My Cloud Home app does not support playback of music files.

YOW, this is ridiculous! What the heck is the Home device good for, anyway? I do not have one of these, but if I did, it would be returned to the store for a full refund! Instead,I have a DL2100, and MPW gen 1; both of which use the My Cloud app for iPhone and iPad. I can access music, video and photo files from my NAS, and so can the lowly bottom-line My Cloud. I refuse to use the overblown Plex app I installed on my DL2100 – I have better apps and hardware to display and listen to my media files, such as WDTV and iPad and Amazon Fire TV stick running Kodi.

This whole horror story regarding the Home and Home Duo reminds me of another failed WD product of a few years ago: the WD Play I think it was called – a half-baked WD media player that was a total market place flop.

What is happening at WD these days’ are they off their rocker?

Adding music playback to the My Cloud Home app is in the road map however it is not currently supported.

Can we presume that other apps that can play music files from a NAS (e.g. FileBrowser, Bubble UPnP, etc) can select a file from MC Home and play it on iOS and Android devices?

The user data space is not a traditional network share so it is not likely these apps would be able to access the user data space.

Hmm, thanks for info. Seems to be in keeping with the other oddities of these Home gadgets.

Lance - if what I understand is correct, the LAN file system that existed in my old MyBookWorld is now moved to the My Cloud Home folder in the cloud and is not local to my LAN; it appears the only thing local to my LAN is the TImeMachine backup and I can’t add any other folders to that drive. The issue is that I use(ed) my NAS as a music server for my Sonos music system. I copied my iTunes Music folder to the LAN share so music played when my laptop was offline. It sounds like I can’t do that anymore? Further, if my internet connection is down I don’t have any access to my files on MyCloudHome (assuming I didn’t set everything to be available off-line). Help!

The private data space is on the My Cloud Home device not the cloud. This is a home cloud product so all data is stored locally on your My Cloud Home device.

The My Cloud Home device works a bit differently that the older My Cloud and My Book Live devices. It uses a private data space for your data. This is not a traditional network share and the data can only be accessed on a computer by installing the WD Discovery software. Once installed it will mount the private data space as a network drive. The private data space is also seen by the mobile app and web access via mycloud.com.

Any data stored private data space will not be seen in the public share. The pubic share you see is used for time machine backups and any data stored there will not be seen in the private user space mounted as a drive by WD Discovery, the mobile app, or the web app.

This product is not compatible to be used as an iTunes server. For streaming media we would recommend using Plex.

I know it is a bit confusing as the My Cloud Home does not work the same way as a traditional NAS but I hope it helps.

Thanks much Lance- if I want something that does: 1) TimeMachine backup from my Macbook (Sierra) and 2) functions as a normal File Share, what current WD product should I return this one for? Again, it needs to be able to allow my Sonos system to play the iTunes files I’ll be moving there from my old MyWorldBook. Thanks so much for your prompt response!

I think this “new-fangled” Home is NOT what you want. Exchange it for a traditional device that fits your needs.

1 Like