Itunes and WD TV Live Streaming?

First i would like to thank all the contributors on the board for the enormous amount of information i have managed to glean since i bought my WDTV live box a week ago, with the help from just reading posts etc i have managed to so far:

Intall the new “darklight” theme - Kudo to Tinwarble for some terrific work)

Find the best way to organise the file structure (in my eyes :stuck_out_tongue: ) so the wife can understand it!

Work out how to get the WDTV Live to stream wirelessly from my office via my desktop netgear router and the 2TB go flex drive where all the media files are.

And now i’m looking to get some music onto the goflex and i’m not sure what the best way to achieve this will be?

so a few questions if thats ok?

Can i somehow use the itunes music folder as a share? (or is that just to simple?)

assuming i can will that have with it the track listings cover art etc etc?

If none of the above whats the best option??

Again many thx for the “unseen” help you have supplied!

Ray aka barnaclebill

You can definitely map the folder

I just don’t know how is going to be seen on the SMP… 

You might have better options transferring the music to a share folder to use with the SMP

Thx for the reply Wizer, i did try the copy the music files to a share folder on a goflex 2tb drive and it kinda worked, some played some didnt, tho i put that down to possible drma -  but the files are a bit of a mess when viewed in the smp even when ordered by file and didnt give me the result i was expecting - and tbh i dont want to get into re - doing all the cd’s i have again so it will work, googling hasnt helped much to be fair so not sure where or what to do next!

if anyone has any links or a faq they can point me at i’d be grateful.

Ray

I have a large iTunes music  folder, and periodically copy it to the hard drive connected to my Live Plus player.  I create playlists using iTunes that I then copy to a folder called Playlists on the drive where I also copy the music.  I play from the playsists most of the time.  iTunes DJ makes playlists easily. It all plays extremely well.via the WD media player.

Since all my music is from my CDs and eMusic, none of it is copy-protected.  I do not download from Apple, so I have no idea if their copy-protected music files would cause a problem with the WD. 

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, just a couple of questions if thats ok?

1. Do you also get all the music info and album carried across as well?

2. When you say you make a playlist (which i know how to do) you mention putting the playlist on the hd, i can make a playlist in itunes, what bit of the “playlist” do i copy? i.e is it a folder in itunes?

3. I did drop the music folder in itunes onto the hd of the smp but wondered if it was as simple as that?

Many Thanks

Ray

Ray, my responses follow your questions below:

barnaclebill wrote:

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, just a couple of questions if thats ok?

1. Do you also get all the music info and album carried across as well?

Ans.  Not in all cases; e.g. mp3 files I download from eMusic (and add to iTunes) have all track data showing as well as cover art.  The mp3 files I create from my CDs do not always display the data on screen when played via the SMP.  It’s an iTunes “problem” I have determined, and sometimes dependent upon which version of iTunes created the mp3 file.  I often need to add the cover art manually in iTunes (even though the art appears in iTunes) to get the cover art to show on the SMP. 

1. When you say you make a playlist (which i know how to do) you mention putting the playlist on the hd, i can make a playlist in itunes, what bit of the “playlist” do i copy? i.e is it a folder in itunes?

Ans.   An iTunes playlist can be exported to an m3u file which you can put anywhere you like; e.g. on the same drive where you put your music for the SMP.  I put mine in a folder called Playlists, so that when I select Music on the SMP. I select Playlists from its menu and there are all my playlists.

1. I did drop the music folder in itunes onto the hd of the smp but wondered if it was as simple as that?

Ans   Pretty mich so.  I consider the iTunes on the drive for the SMP as the “backup”  of my iTunes folder from my PC, so I keep it updated.  I also copy the folder containing the iTunes library database files to the same drive.  Using these files and the music folder enables me to rebuild my iTunes if ever there is a crash of the original drive – which I have had to do in the past.  How this is all done is beyond the scope of this message…

Brilliant, thanks so much for the response, its something i will work on over the next week as i have the DVD side to finalise but theirs a lot there to be getting on with, thx again

Ray