Issues

Can’t remember if any of these were happening before the newest firmware but nonetheless they are present in the current one. 1. What happened to the “standy” feature? Now it actually powers all the way off instead. If it’s changed then you should have let us choose which one to use. The standby mode was faster to boot back up. 2. I specifically configured my device to use 1080p 60hz for my TV. Whenever I turn it off and back on again, it’s back to 720p. Now I’ve read mixed reports saying that if it does this it means your TV is reporting 720p as the “default”… I see two problems with this; first, my TV is a 1080p display… second, my computer defaults to 1080p when I use the TV with it, so it’s being reported as 1080p by the EDID data anyway. Third, call me crazy… but isn’t the fact you can CHANGE the resolution in the settings be an indicator that the default would be overridden by my choice in the first place?? 3. There have been several instances where I’ll fast forward or rewind in a video, but when I hit play again it’s right back to where I started, as if I hadn’t even done it. Likewise, there are times where when I rewind it jumps ahead about 10 seconds before rewinding. It’s way too **bleep** sporadic.

None of these are “new”.  They’ve been reported and discussed numerous times.

kevinmd88 wrote:> 1. What happened to the “standy” feature? Now it actually powers all the way off instead. If it’s changed then you should have let us choose which one to use. The standby mode was faster to boot back up.

That was changed to meet EU power requirements.

1. I specifically configured my device to use 1080p 60hz for my TV. Whenever I turn it off and back on again, it’s back to 720p.

People have been reporting forgotten settings as long as I’ve been a member here.

3. There have been several instances where I’ll fast forward or rewind in a video, but when I hit play again it’s right back to where I started, as if I hadn’t even done it. Likewise, there are times where when I rewind it jumps ahead about 10 seconds before rewinding. It’s way too **bleep** sporadic.

You just have bad encodes.  Go back with your original discs and re-rip the files using proper settings, and they’ll play/FF/Rev fine.

RoofingGuy is right. I have been having the same problem for over 8 months now, and I have reported it here many times.

When I turn on my Live Plus, about 50% of the time it powers up set at 720p which my TV does not support. Even when I set it manually to 1080i, the WD box does not remember this setting, and it will pwer up at 720p. A lot of others have the same problem.

The best thing you can do is to report this to WD so that they are aware that a lot of us have this problem. Then we have to hope that they will decide to fix it.

Hi guys, thanks for the respones. I was mostly fed up with all the technological problems I’d had with various stuff in the 24 hours leading up to my post. Where can I report these issues directly to WD?

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

That would be where you could report that it’s not remembering your HDMI settings.

The other 2 issues you’re welcome to report, I suppose, but there’s not really anything WD can do about it.

They can’t really change the power settings without losing the entire European market.  And offering 2 firmwares (or a selectable setting) would just get them in trouble with the EU authorities, because the EU users would just use the North American firmware (or setting) and avoid their local requirements.  I don’t really see WD giving up that large a market just to save a few seconds of bootup time for North American users.  We basically just have to live with it.

1. Try using the Auto setting. IF your TV reports EDID correctly (my Panasonic does, you might check with MONINFO described elsewhere in the forum), then it will start up in 1080p mode. The revert to 720p  from an explicit setting is a known bug and does not depend on EDID data.

My Standby mode works as usual BTW, don’t know why yours don’t. You are sure you haven’t got a newer unit with “greeen” power control?

Cocovanna

As fas as I knew, the power usage has nothing to do with any particular firmware revision –  I was led to believe it’s a hardware design change.

All Live Pluses came with the EU power settings, and any Gen2 or Live manufactured after WD changed the power profiles also came with the EU power settings.

As I understood it, there’s no way to make an EU-compliant WDTV behave like the pre-EU-compliant devices, and no way to make an older device behave like the EU-compliant devices.  The “old” Lives (and Gen2s) keep supplying power to the processor for the “standby” when shut down, while the “new” Lives (and Gen2s), as well as the Live Pluses, remove power to the processor when shut down.

RoofingGuy wrote:

As fas as I knew, the power usage has nothing to do with any particular firmware revision –  I was led to believe it’s a hardware design change.

All Live Pluses came with the EU power settings, and any Gen2 or Live manufactured after WD changed the power profiles also came with the EU power settings.

As I understood it, there’s no way to make an EU-compliant WDTV behave like the pre-EU-compliant devices, and no way to make an older device behave like the EU-compliant devices.

Have been trying out the 1.03.49_V version of WDLXTV firmware the last few days, it gives you full control of having it behave the way the OP has requested, have mine set like it at present and am able to see the WDLive on my network and move files about when the WD has been powered off by the remote, also after pressing the power button the WD is up and running in a few seconds.

Yeah I tried the WDlxTV firmware too at one point but I decided to switch back to the WD firmware for a few reasons… Anyway, when I first bought my WDTV Live Plus HD, it would go into a “standby” mode rather than actually powering off when I hit the button. I can’t remember which firmware update modified this, but I know for a fact that it started happening as soon as I installed one of them.

My live was shipped with 1.02.21_V and it powered right down with that version.

markinuk wrote:

…1.03.49_V version of WDLXTV…  WDLive…

…which has nothing to do with how Live Pluses behave in the first place. :wink:

But according to b-rad himself, he created his own “standby” mode and bypassed the stock WD power-down sequence… when running WDLXTV for the Live Plus, the USB devices remain active when you enter b-rad’s “standby” mode, because you can’t unmount and remount the running filesystems without messing up the operating system.

But it’s still back to the fact that WD can’t create a new “standby” mode for the EU-compliant devices without breaking the EU-compliance – that’s why WD had to remove the device “standby” in the first place.  If someone re-enables some kind of “standby” by hacking the device, WD remains in the clear – if WD ignores the EU regulations then they’re in trouble.

kevinmd88 wrote:
Anyway, when I first bought my WDTV Live Plus HD, it would go into a “standby” mode rather than actually powering off when I hit the button.

Not according to WD or b-rad… they both say the power button removes power to the processor and performs a full reboot when using any stock WD firmware.

RoofingGuy wrote:

markinuk wrote:

…1.03.49_V version of WDLXTV…  WDLive…

…which has nothing to do with how Live Pluses behave in the first place. :wink:

Excactly the same firmware/hardware apart from the American plug-ings ???

But according to b-rad himself, he created his own “standby” mode and bypassed the stock WD power-down sequence… when running WDLXTV for the Live Plus, the USB devices remain active when you enter b-rad’s “standby” mode, because you can’t unmount and remount the running filesystems without messing up the operating system.

Mainly answered because of your earlier post about it being a hardware limitation, the USB devices can be shutdown ok if you only have samba running and not the special mounts available.

But it’s still back to the fact that WD can’t create a new “standby” mode for the EU-compliant devices without breaking the EU-compliance – that’s why WD had to remove the device “standby” in the first place.  If someone re-enables some kind of “standby” by hacking the device, WD remains in the clear – if WD ignores the EU regulations then they’re in trouble.

True, but if they included some sort of server if possible (like the HUB) they could. lol

EDIT:  the plus must have some extra chip to run netflix plug-in???

WD Live keeps on resetting video settings when i turn it on or when it has been on for a while.

I have had this problem for a long time and with each firmware update is getting worse.

Im sick of having to change every day my video settings to the correct value i also have to hard reset the unit, if not i dont get sound and weird colors pop up. Am i the only one with this issue? What the heck is going on? Im running the latest firmware  1.05.04.