Issues with NEW My Passport 2TB, created folders show up 0 items

(Running Mavericks 10.9.4 on 2011 Macbook Pro, 2TB WD My Passport formatted to Exfat to work on both PC and Mac.)

Just got a brand new My Passport in the mail and wondering if I should return it for an exchange.
It’s showing some unusual behaviour and I’m not sure if it’s my computer or the Portable drive.

Every time I create a new folder and I add new photos to it, the folder file indicates 0 items. But when I open the file, the files are indeed inside. The only time, the folder shows the correct number of files contained is when I disconnect the drive and plug it back in the next time.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? My days are limited for the return so I’m thinking to exchange and see if the problem persists, but if anyone has some suggestions, I’d really appreciate it.

Hello,

I haven’t experienced this and I haven’t seen that on the community. Are you able to test that on a different computer? If yes, please do that.

Hi ERmorel,

Just tested it on on new imac running MacOS Sierra 10.12 and it still does the same thing. Newly created files indicate 0 items when you put files into it.

In my attempt to reformat it on this new computer instead of my old Macbook Pro, to see if the issue persists, I followed the instructions ExFAT for the Sierra operating system here: How to Format a Drive for Use on Both Windows and macOS Using exFat or FAT32

and …I’m stuck at step 7. Partition is grayed out for me. Is this common, normal?

Actually just read the instructions more carefully…“exFAT in macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) and macOS 10.12 (Sierra) There are two easy ways to format a drive to use ExFAT is by using Mac OSX’s built-in Disk Utility; using Erase (Step 4) or Partition (Step 7).”

So i’m guessing since i managed to erase in step 4…my drive should be formatted without need to partition?