ISSUES with new firmware (March 2014)

Hi

After f/w upgrade (03.04.01-219) my dashboard shows " - "  in the “Diagnosis” field and the “Content Scan” field is stuck at “building”, despite all ticks are green.
What’s going on?

Hello,

Have you tried power cycling the drive?

Hello

I did restart the drive, however not power down/power up. Will do so soon, as I must change the desk in my bedroom, so it’ll be a perfect time to power down the equipment. Last thing I want to try is to reset it (again)… I hope it won’t go that far or as far as wiping the drive off and making another copy of the HDD.

The issues are typical, though, despite the F/W upgrade: NAS spins up for no reason while sleeping (it does so less often and less chaotic, though, since before it would spind down and up like a maniac, short timespan of seconds between the cycles - how hard it would be on the HDD…) and now the “status” fiels is not populated at all (only one field, the last one, no temp reading, SMART etc).

I am being contacted by WD staff, occasionally, must admit. However the solution is not what I excpected, at least not yet.

LardVader wrote:

Hi

After f/w upgrade (03.04.01-219) my dashboard shows " - "  in the “Diagnosis” field and the “Content Scan” field is stuck at “building”, despite all ticks are green.
What’s going on?

With the new My cloud firmware , under content scan , It is normal to see “building” status.  This is not a bug. This status will be seen when the scanning process is complete and the device is building thumbnails. Depending on how much data the user has , it can take few hours to days to complete that process. 

If you have a “LOT” of pictures or songs, it could take quite a while, days.

Hi,

My content scan and rebuilding went on for 4 days. Since completion, the drive has functioned normally and has been sleeping as before the firmware upgrade.

Thanks for help and hints. Indeed, it is now showing proper values in the Content and Diagnosis (after power cycle). However, it seems to live its own life again, with the drive waking up a few times per hour at night, with no device (apparently) requesting the NAS content (I know, because it happens with router virtual server blocked, WiFi off, remote access off).