Issues regarding playing movie files!

For many years i’ve been using an external hard drive, plugged into my iMac, and due to having an Apple TV, i’d use that to run Plex, and direct Plex to my hard drive, meaning to watch a movie on my TV, i’d have to have my iMac on and the hard drive running, and this got annoying.

I also have other house members, for them to watch a film, i’d have to unplug their hard drive, plug it into my iMac, move a movie file over from my hard drive to theirs, plug theirs back in, and again they’d have to keep their computers and hard drive on to use Plex on their TV, so much hassle!

So I was looking into a NAS, a simple hard drive to plug into the router which can be accessed by any computer/mobile/tablet in the house, I got the WD My Cloud Home, as I don’t have much money to spare at the moment and it was £150 for 4TB.

I got it, plugged it in, seen that Plex was available so I enabled that, I made another Plex account to test out and started moving movie files over from my external hard drive to the WD via the MyCloud website (as I found it faster than doing it over the iMac with the WD software) and into the ready made Plex folder on there…

On Plex I found all the movies i’d put on had come up, great, I then went downstairs and turned on the Apple TV, signed in on the new Plex account, linked it up, the movies showed up, but when i’d click one it would just be stuck on the loading icon…

I get around 220mpbs download speed, and around 12mpbs upload speed for my internet.
(baring in mind the Apple TVs are plugged in via ethernet too, so both Apple TVs and WD have a wired connection)…

So, I went and bought the MyCloud app for £2.99 on the Apple TVs App Store, again, the movie files show up, great, I click one and it starts playing, but a minute or so into it the sound went, no sound at all, and I know there is sound as I watched the film the previous night with my usual way (iMac on, hard drive on, Apple TV on…)

So i’m pretty stuck on what to do now, i’ve checked all the settings on Plex and I think they’re all correct, there isn’t many settings on the MyCloud website…

So what do you suggest? they aren’t large 4k movies, they’re 720-1080p mainly, file sizes are 1-2GB for each movie file, so i’m not sure why 1) Plex isn’t playing them and it’s just ‘loading’, and 2) why the MyCloud app is playing them but then cuts off the sound a minute in to it.

Any help would be great!!!

I was hoping that 3 members in the house, all with their own Apple TVs could access the WD whenever they wanted and been able to watch their own different movies whenever they wanted (guessing i’d have to purchase the Plex Premium to do it on there?), but I can’t even get 1 person to be able to watch them…

What am I missing here? it’s driving me insane.

So I just read some things and noticed people saying about having their movies in other folders within the readymade Plex folder, for example I have movies beginning with A in a folder called A… so i’ve moved some to just the main Files > Plex > Shared Movies, and went on Plex and scanned library files again, then went onto Plex on the Apple TV and the movies work… so i’m guessing, where I have just under 2000 movies, they’ll all have to be in one folder? I cant have Files > Plex > Shared Movies > A and so on like I used to, as previously i’d direct Plex to a folder called ‘Movies’ which then had in ‘A’ ‘B’ folders and so on, so Plex would scan everything in that one ‘Movies’ folder, but with this WD, it’s not working that way? I have to have the actual movie files in one folder ‘Shared Movies’?

You should properly check the file if is downloaded completely. In complete downloaded file are always not good to play. Even they won’t play. Cinema apk

I’ve got everything working now, but still films only show up on the Plex server when they’re all in:

Files > Plex > Shared Movies

I wanted to have it like:

Files > Plex > Shared Movies > A

and have all the movies beginning with A in that folder, and then:

Files > Plex > Shared Movies > T

and all movies beginning with T in that folder, and so on, like I used to be able to have it, but it seems because Plex is now coming from the WD, it won’t read for movie files in any other folder except that ‘Shared Movies’ one, even if there are sub folders in there.

You can use Cyberflix TV on Android devices. It works like charm. You can also use this app on Windows PC. I am not sure about iOS and MacOS.

You can download more TV Streaming applications for iPhone, iPad using AppValley. To get more information visit AppValley.