Issue with SMB (or could be with Win 10)

Lately I’ve been having issues where my drive mappings fail when rebooting my Win 10 PC. I’ve been resorting to rebooting my MyCloud to correct these issues.

I suspect something is happening to SMB on the MyCloud. This is the error I get when trying to access a share.

Also checking the logs on MyCloud I see this. I’m not sure if it’s meaningful. Last few lines from /var/log/log.nmdb. My Bolding.

[2016/11/23 16:36:38, 0] (unbecome_local_master_success)

Samba name server WDMYCLOUD has stopped being a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.2.22

[2016/11/23 18:21:51, 0] (query_name_response)
query_name_response: Multiple (2) responses received for a query on subnet 192.168.2.22 for name WORKGROUP<1d>.
This response was from IP 192.168.2.11, reporting an IP address of 192.168.2.11.
[2016/11/23 22:41:00, 0] (become_local_master_stage2)

Samba name server WDMYCLOUD is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.2.22

[2016/11/26 10:38:35, 0] (nmbd_main)
nmbd version 4.0.0rc5 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2012

Could this be a case of Win 10 taking over as master browser.

Gen 1 mycloud. Latest firmware.

no one have any ideas?

I’ve done a lot of searching on google with these symptoms but found nothing conclusive. One interesting post mentioned that Win 10 might take over as SMB master browser from MyCloud SMB. Not sure if that is the issue here.

Anyone else ever experience this.

What happens if you attempt to access the My Cloud, or map the My Cloud Share using the My Cloud’s IP address? Do you have the same problem?

In the following thread there is some discussion on SMB in Windows 10 when Microsoft borked the SMB2 a while back. May want to take a look and see if anything in there might help. There is a suggestion in that thread to configure the router as the “master browser” for SMB if the router supports such an option.

https://community.wd.com/t/compilation-of-windows-10-methods-steps-and-solutions/142576

Thanks for that. Since this issue seems to happen randomly (after a reboot of my PC), the next time it happens I will look at a few things. I’ve never checked to see if my MyCloud shows up under network in Windows Explorer.

try to use ipaddress to mount, its ez to resovle

I’ll try that the next time it fails.

OK, it happened again. So I tried with the IP address and it worked. Note that the WD MyCloud isn’t showing in Network on Windows explorer when I have this problem.

Also this is only a work around. It doesn’t get to the root cause of the problem.

Thanks to Bennor and liuhangchen.

Have you updated your Windows 10 PC with ALL of the latest Windows 10 updates?

Are you running a third party Firewall software program? Or have you modified the Windows Firewall to block local network access to the My Cloud? Have you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP in Windows 10? Have you enabled local network sharing within Windows 10? Have you installed all of the latest Windows 10 updates?

See the link I posted previously that has this and other Windows 10 suggestions when one has issues accessing the My Cloud under Windows 10.

https://community.wd.com/t/compilation-of-windows-10-methods-steps-and-solutions/142576

Windows 10 is up to date. I just use the Windows firewall and anti virus.

I’ve done all the things you suggest.

Remember this works OK most of the time. It’s just that occasionally for some reason the connection fails when I boot up my Windows PC.

This is different that when it fails because it tries before the network is connected. In that case you can just click on the drive icon and it works.

I have previously gone through that thread but will review it again.

Is the IP address of your MyCloud being changed by the router?

No. It’s address is reserved in the router.

Just as an FYI the last Win 10 update I have is cumulative update KB3200970. It was installed Nov 9th.

As a test, try setting the Windows 10 SMB to SMB 1 or SMB3 and see if that works around your issue. See the link I posted earlier in the thread for directions on how to change the Windows 10 SMB version.

OK, I’ll try that. BTW as always, rebooting the MyCloud resolves the issue. It now shows up in Network on my PC.

OK, changing smb-global.conf to smb3. Not sure if I should try 1 or 3 but my windows 10 has ver 3.1.1.

Will let you know how it goes.

Here is the difference after changing MyCloud to SMB3. Not the extra share for MyCloud at the bottom of the second group.

ServerName ShareName UserName Credential Dialect NumOpens

192.168.2.22 xxxxxxxx DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxxxxx@outlook.com 2.1 1
192.168.2.22 xxxxxxx DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxxxxx@outlook.com 2.1 1
192.168.2.22 xxxxxxxx DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxxxxx@outlook.com 2.1 1
192.168.2.22 xxxxxxx DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxxxxx@outlook.com 2.1 1
DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E Users DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxxxxx@outlook.com 3.1.1 1
EPSON63F5DF MEMORYCARD DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxxxxx@outlook.com 1.5 1
EPSON63F5DF USBSTORAGE DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxxxxx@outlook.com 1.5 1

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SmbConnection

ServerName ShareName UserName Credential Dialect NumOpens

192.168.2.22 xxxxxx DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxx@outlook.com 3.0 1
192.168.2.22 xxxxxx DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxx@outlook.com 3.0 2
192.168.2.22 xxxxxx DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxx@outlook.com 3.0 2
192.168.2.22 xxxxxx DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxx@outlook.com 3.0 1
DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E Users DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxx@outlook.com 3.1.1 2
EPSON63F5DF MEMORYCARD DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxx@outlook.com 1.5 1
EPSON63F5DF USBSTORAGE DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxx@outlook.com 1.5 1
WDMYCLOUD IPC$ DESKTOP-EEIOJ9E\xxxxxx MicrosoftAccount\xxxxxx@outlook.com 3.0 0

Have rebooted PC several times since last post and so far so good.

Problem is back. I booted my PC this am and all mapped drives were big red X. Clicking on them resulted in the original error message.

Did the Get-SMBConnection command in powershell and Mycloud didn’t show up. SSH’d into mycloud and ran TOP. Didn’t see nmb or smb. Started SAMBA and my mapped drives work. Also ran Get-SMBConnection and mycloud shows up.

I’m not sure this is the same issue, as before, if I started SAMBA, it didn’t fix things.

One would ask why wasn’t SAMBA running? It’s suppose to start up on every boot.

SAMBA was running when MyCloud last booted. However this morning when I booted my PC it apparently wasn’t. I will be checking logs on MyCloud to see if I can determine why SAMBA tasks weren’t running.