[Issue] Remote connection switches from port fowarding to relay connection

As described in my other thread I found a solution to get the port forwarding connection working with an Aiport  router (Time Capsule).

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Airport-Troubleshooting-Port-fowarding-remote-connection/td-p/713458

The solution is to click on “configure” at the remote connection settings and to set it back from “Manual” to “Auto” and press “Save”. Afterwards set it back to " Manual" (and change ports if necessary)  and press save. After a while (approx. 30secs) the connection changes from relay connection to port fowarding connection. Sometimes I have to repeat this 1 or 2 times

The problem now is that a couple of hours/days later the connection switches back to relay connection and I have to do workaround again. It seems to be a bug in the firmware and exactly the same happens with the WD my clouds of 2 friends of mine who are also using an Airport.

Can someone from WD with technical experience please look at the problem.

MacStar1601,

Please note that this is a user to user forum.

As a recommendation, contact WD Support for direct assistance on the issue.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en&ct=networking

And isn’t this user forum there to discuss problems and bugs?!

I did not made good experience with the support and the help which I received was very basic. I do not need someone to explain me how to set-up a port forwarding connection.

It’s definately a bug that the wd my cloud firmware that it is switching from a port fowarding connection to a relay connection.

Please feel free to forward it to someone from the support team with technical know-how.

I have to agree MacStar1601. I think this forum is a place where user can report bugs and find others who have the same issues and maybe a solution.

By the way, I have the same problem like MacStar. The WD MyCloud is switching all the time back to a relay connection after I have made the described workaround.

If you know someone from the support team, who can really help with this issue, then please ask him to write a workaround in this forum, because there are maybe other users, who has the same problem and want a fix for it.

The better alternative to a workaround is to fix this issue with an software-update.

I have been contacted by the german WD support and I have been advised to enable UPNP on my router and that my problem can’t be fixed with a change in the firmware.

Honestly, that advise is unbelieveable. First of all an Airport Router does not support UPNP and that’s is exactly the reason why I set up all the port fowarding settings. And I found a workaround to get it working with a port forwarding connection… so there must be a way to fix this.

After my next reply to the support I received the offer to return my WD My Cloud and to get my money back.

That is soooo unbelievable…no concrete questions…no log files requested.

Is that the philosophy of WD?..if you find a bug…we don’t care…just return your device.

I am highly disappointed and frustrated by such service.

+1 I also having the same problem.

Almost everytime after my WDMC woke up or running for a few hours, the connection status will be changed to Relay mode and I have to reboot WDMC to re-establish the port forwarded connection again.

PS. Sorry for my bad english…

MacStar, when your device switches back to Relay mode, try the steps here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Troubleshooting-Remote-Connectivity-Issues/m-p/617261#M1130

Thanks a lot but I know this howto already and did everything as described. It works and I get a port foward connection but the problem is that it switches back to a relais connection after some hours/days.

MacStar1601 wrote:

Thanks a lot but I know this howto already and did everything as described. It works and I get a port foward connection but the problem is that it switches back to a relais connection after some hours/days.

Right, I get that – I’m suggesting you review those steps when it’s in Relay mode… particularly step 5.

it’s all done as described in this howto. Why should step 5 help here? it’s simply a test if the port fowards are working correctly from external.

And 2 friends of mine have exactly the same problem with the same hardware set-up.

MacStar1601 wrote:

Why should step 5 help here? it’s simply a test if the port fowards are working correctly from external.

Ok ok ok … :wink:   Just wanting to confirm (which is what Step 5 does) that the ports are forwarded and the Cloud is answering correctly to the forwarded ports.  

Relay kicks in when the cloud is NOT answering on the configured ports from the outside.

Can someone from WD please look at this problem…it always jumps back to relay connection after a couple of days and does not switch back to port forwarding connection automatically.

MacStar1601 wrote:

Can someone from WD please look at this problem…it always jumps back to relay connection after a couple of days and does not switch back to port forwarding connection automatically.

Your best bet is to open a ticket. WD will read but will not solve the problem here as they may need logs etc.

hth

I did that and the support does not care about and they said that it can not be fixed with a firmware update and offered me to send my wd my cloud back and to get a refund.

Awesome service or?!?

jamalaya wrote:

MacStar1601 wrote:

Your best bet is to open a ticket. WD will read but will not solve the problem here as they may need logs etc.

hth

This isn’t entirely true.  We do not comment on our community as some would like us to, because the community is a place for users to help users.  I have specific people on my staff that actually identify problem and private message users for more details.

MacStar1601 wrote:

I did that and the support does not care about and they said that it can not be fixed with a firmware update and offered me to send my wd my cloud back and to get a refund.

Awesome service or?!?

I can definitely understand why your take away from the interaction with our support staff may seem a bit underwhelming or disappointing…

What I think the support team meant by their response to you is “Hey I don’t have a solution for you right at this minute, so to make up for it in the mean time, here is what I can do”.

Our agent would have then logged this issue with our engineering team.  I can confirm that the agent did and that we are investigating this issue (I just got out of a meeting where we discussed it).