ISO playback

richUK wrote:

I only thing I will say is that DVDshrink is very quick but at the extreme there is a noticeable loss of quality which is what you should expect, after all it works by reducing the bitrate.

Unless of course one simple rips to a DVD-9-ISO as suggested.

HI mkelley

The problem was indeed the fact that iwas trying to play the file via Network Shares, I was to eager to see if it work so skipped the file move. I have since moved the files to the local USB HD and the files play OK now (Why is that ?) Although one of the files plays well, sounds well and both FF and FR work fine. The other files plans and sounds fine but when I try to FF I get a message that says “The file you are playing does not support trick mode” … Say what ? ?

And then it quits and starts to play from the beginning again ?

I think your right about a new tread … I think I’ve taken this one as far as it can go … lol

Thanks for your help …

There is no loss of quality at all with DVD Shrink if you use the DVD 9 iso setting rather than the default setting which produces a file size max of under 5GB, so as to fit onto DVD if burned. This is precisely the reason I am now using DVD Shrink and not Handbrake. You will lose some quality with Handbrake regardless of the settings you choose. Whether this is significant/noticeable or not is up to the user. I am not worried about large file sizes as portable storage is now quite cheap and quality of the video and audio is the most important attribute for me. Why would anyone want to play something with a lower quality than their original DVD sitting on their shelf at home? Kind of defeats the purpose of using the WD TV Live in the first place! Unless of course the cost of the storage is an issue for someone, or they do not own all the movies in the first place.

Who really wants to mess with converting and mkv’s and such… just give us FULL ISO support. So we can use ISO’s like a DVD… Also as of right now .ISO still doesn’t play right. Some I noticed will freeze at certain points and show a black screen and then resume after seconds of not showing the movie. So it skips a few seconds when it does this. But sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds for video to come back. Please fix this at least!! But PLEASE, PLEASE… work on FULL ISO SUPPORT to run like a dvd! THANKS.