ISO files suddenly give 'Unsupported Format' message

Hi,

Long-time user, first time poster :smiley:

I have a Live Hub and have been using it with a mix of iso and mkv files for quite a while without any problems.  Then out of the blue last week, I try to play one of the ISO files and I get the ‘Unsupported Format’ message that tells me to refer to the user manual.  Now I know that ISO files are supported and the file wasn’t new and has worked before many times.  It seems like all other ISO files are having the same problem now, but the mkv files are fine.  Anyone know what gives?  The fact that it happened out of the blue is rather frustrating.

Thanks for any information you can contribute to this.

I had this happen to me for the first time yesterday.  

I don’t have any ideas what caused it yet…

Its quite a common theme with WD kit as far as I am aware, used to get this with MKV and AVI files on my WDTV 1. Sometimes coming out of the folder and selecting another MKV file seemed to fix it, some times it was only  hard reset.

Its common across all the devices, but the common theme seems to be Fat32/NTFS formats on USB sticks.

Used to happen to me on Hard drives though, its as if the hardware has a memory dump…darned annoying.

… yeah, but for me it happened via NAS.

With my iso.s locking up I get this sometimes too after it will not play them then it gives me that message too. The other day I was able to play one of the iso’s that was locking up today I cannot. I even get a fatal error message too. WD needs to start adressing these concerns rather than shoring up it’s cash flow with adding services

I’ve got ISO problems and an ISO question, too.

Problem:

Some of my ISOs (all created with the same software) do play in the preview window well, but when I hit play I only get a black screen (title info and lower OSD appear correctly, but nothing happens - no menue, no movie).

Tried all the usual stuff like hard reset and so on - always the same clips & problem.

No error message, preview runs, after burning back to DVD the whole disc (incl. menue) runs on the DVD player again.

strange…

Question:

What about covers, infos and so on with ISOs??

I always read of MKVs here but I’m not willing to do all the encoding work again to MKV.

Please tell me that there’s a way to enhance my existing ISOs as well!

Best regards

EXECdesign wrote:

I’ve got ISO problems and an ISO question, too.

Problem:

Some of my ISOs (all created with the same software) do play in the preview window well, but when I hit play I only get a black screen (title info and lower OSD appear correctly, but nothing happens - no menue, no movie).

Tried all the usual stuff like hard reset and so on - always the same clips & problem.

No error message, preview runs, after burning back to DVD the whole disc (incl. menue) runs on the DVD player again.

strange…

Question:

What about covers, infos and so on with ISOs??

I always read of MKVs here but I’m not willing to do all the encoding work again to MKV.

Please tell me that there’s a way to enhance my existing ISOs as well!

Best regards

What do you use to create your iso. Are they normal DVD’s that you have purchased or are they home made. You say they play in the preview window. If you enter that window and press OK do they now play in full screen correctly? If they do it sounds like there is something wrong with the menu system in your iso. When playing via the preview window the menu system is switched off and the hub simply plays the main movie.

What about covers etc with iso. You just use Get content info or use a jpg with exactly the same file name as the iso.

richUK wrote:

What do you use to create your iso. Are they normal DVD’s that you have purchased or are they home made. You say they play in the preview window. If you enter that window and press OK do they now play in full screen correctly? If they do it sounds like there is something wrong with the menu system in your iso. When playing via the preview window the menu system is switched off and the hub simply plays the main movie.

What about covers etc with iso. You just use Get content info or use a jpg with exactly the same file name as the iso.

I use DVD Shrink (put’s out full ISO backups) and it’s all about purchased movie DVDs (not only security backups but also comfort increasements as well as saved space in the living room).

Didn’t know that I can switch to the preview window and play the main movie fullscreen that way. Don’t know how to do that, but I’ll try it, when I’m at home again (1st tries didn’t work till now).

richUK wrote:

What about covers etc with iso. You just use Get content info or use a jpg with exactly the same file name as as the iso.

Don’t know how to put covers into the ISOs or manage infos for them - do you have a tutorial or just a little instruction for me?

I don’t know why, but the built in ‘get content’ button always tells me, the movies are unknown :cry:

No idea what’s wrong with that function… could it be that it only works with US DVDs?

I’ve already read about the cover JPEG thing (lower case endings) but where do I get the propper covers?

Do I have to scan them manually or look at Google?? That would be a lot of work.

Actually I thought I just copy the ISO files from the backup NAS to the WD device, let that build up a media library and everything is fine - that’s how it should work!

Since I’m a bloody rookie with the WD liveHUB, I’m thankful for all tips and suggestions about the ISO thing.

Its a pretty sensitive process.

You have to have no underscores or dots in the names at all.

Try that.

‘No underscores’ is a very good hint: ISOs are all upper case and with underscores by default!

If that’s all I’ll have to prepare for a renaming session…

By whose default?   I always save mine as the name of the movie, or for TV shows, something like “Scrubs S04E10.iso”

TonyPh12345 wrote:

By whose default?   I always save mine as the name of the movie, or for TV shows, something like “Scrubs S04E10.iso”

At a full backup the software uses the already existing name of the DVD. Sure I can change that before saving - but before I bought the HUB I had no reason for that. (had most of my DVDs as ISOs on the backup NAS for network streaming via computer already)

If the file name is not recognized when you Get Info, then drop down to the search box below the ‘can’t find movie’ red cross. Now change the search info to the actual title of the film and press submit.

The info for the get info comes from themoviedb so you can check there to see if your movies are listed.

http://www.themoviedb.org/

But if you can, change the names from a PC, the keypad  on the box, is a total pain, as they have the delete key

as far away as possible. And the space is at the bottom…

I almost threw the remote through my TV, and that was just trying to search on Youtube :slight_smile:

wdtvhub wrote:

But if you can, change the names from a PC, the keypad  on the box, is a total pain, as they have the delete key

as far away as possible. And the space is at the bottom…

I almost threw the remote through my TV, and that was just trying to search on Youtube :slight_smile:

or use a usb connected keyboard.

Yeah I suppose thats what the front port is for… because my second TB hard drive cable looks stupid sticking out the front…Thanks WD :frowning:

You need to confirm that the extension really is “ISO” (i.e. Spider-Man.iso)

You can view all files on your WDHUB or attached USB drive using Windows Explorer. In Windows Explorer, uncheck “hide extensions…” (it’s in “Folder Options->View”)

I like to use ExplorerXP for such tasks (and batch renaming).

1st of all: Thanks a lot, THAT’S support!! :smileyvery-happy:

Right now I tried again without renaming something and guess what: It works *crazy* :robotvery-happy:

(maybe server connection problem?!?)

As I’m getting forward in understanding my HUB I have another question yet:

Is there a possibility to get all the info in GERMAN?

I’ve just recently started having this same problem, getting the “Unsupported format…”, but only with ISOs.  Seemed to start after upgrading firmware to 2.05.08.  Did not notice it before @ 2.04.xx.

After playing ISOs repeatedly, I’m able to recreate it pretty regularly by doing the following.

1. Play an ISO video/movie.

2. While playing, press the ‘Back’ button to go back to the previous display.

3. At this point, trying to play any ISO results in the above error displaying, including the one just got done playing.  Other file types still play, it’s just ISOs. 

Powering the unit off, via the remote or front panel does not clear the problem.

The only way I’ve been able to get ISOs to play again is to use one of the following options:

1. Use the ‘Device Restart’ option on the System menu.

2. Disconnect/reconnect power connector.

If I use the Stop function to exit playing ISO, the above error does not occur.  If it does, it’s very rare.  Think it might have error’d once after Play/Stop about a dozen times repeatedly, but not sure.  The Play/Back functions errors pretty much 99% of the time.