.iso files reboot SMP, then play normally

I have a strange problem with my SMP using the 1.05.18 firmware. The first time I try to play an .iso file I have ripped from a DVD using DVDFab, the SMP reboots. Then if I go back to the same file it plays normally. Has anybody seen this behavior before?

Hi badmem,

Yes, I have seen this before and I’m on the previous update. I can force it to happen by selecting to play a .ISO file before the video starts to play in the preview window and the when the file type summary (audio/video codec) say “UNKNOWN”. On reboot it works fine.

The way to avoid it for the most part is to wait until the player has figured out what kind of file it is dealing with. It usually works out the video codec quite quickly but then takes some time to figure out the audio codec.

A very annoying problem. The player is just too slow at figuring out what type of file it is dealing with, and the reboot is clearly unacceptable!.

Hope this helps.

Ya’ll are both running rather old firmware … have you tried it in recent firmwares?

There’s been three releases since 1.05.18.

I have this issue on 2 of the new units both running lateste firmware…it basically hard crashes…even after reboot i can’t play the iso’s. I’ve basically stopped trying until the next  fw is released. Given up on Netflix too until then. These are extremely buggy units, i have a whole laundry list of issues, several at the showstopper bug level. Very, very disappointing.

Nice GUI though. :confounded:

john_doe wrote:

I have this issue on 2 of the new units both running lateste firmware…it basically hard crashes…even after reboot i can’t play the iso’s. I’ve basically stopped trying until the next  fw is released. Given up on Netflix too until then. These are extremely buggy units, i have a whole laundry list of issues, several at the showstopper bug level. Very, very disappointing.

Nice GUI though. :confounded:

Your problem is worse than mine, it’s just the first time I play the .isos that the SMP reboots. What did you use to rip the .isos ?

So, you’re not willing to upgrade your firmware?

If you set match video framerate to off it works now for me with the new firmware, it’s in the video menu (hdmi option).

I use AcetoneISO…it appears the issue is gone from what i can tell with yesterday’s firmware release…along with most of the other glitches/bugs i’ve had to put up with…seems to be a big improvement across the board so far.  I join up to vent about buggy WD hardware and the same day new firmware is released…what are the odds? :wink:

Well mate, the problem won’t be solve unless you update the firmware.

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Where did I say “I’m not willing to upgrade?”

badmem wrote:

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Where did I say that you said that you’re not willing to upgrade? However, it did seem like you completely dismissed TonyPh12345’s advice, which was given to you earlier in this thread. That’s why I asked.

Dikkiedikdik2 wrote:

If you set match video framerate to off it works now for me with the new firmware, it’s in the video menu (hdmi option).

Dikkied suggested the solution that worked for me. Thanks. On 1.05.18 I didn’t have to change this for my ISO to work properly. It was only when I updated to the latest, that I had the reboot problem. Oh well, at least someone on this board had the solution. Wish we had better firmware deverlopers and/or evaluators. 

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

badmem wrote:

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Where did I say that you said that you’re not willing to upgrade? However, it did seem like you completely dismissed TonyPh12345’s advice, which was given to you earlier in this thread. That’s why I asked.

That’s the second time you have assumed something that isn’t true. I haven’t “completely dismissed” Tonys’ suggestion, I just haven’t replied to his post. I have in fact updated to FW 1.07.15 , but I am still testing to see if it has solved the problem.

Missing_Link wrote:

Hi badmem,

Yes, I have seen this before and I’m on the previous update. I can force it to happen by selecting to play a .ISO file before the video starts to play in the preview window and the when the file type summary (audio/video codec) say “UNKNOWN”. On reboot it works fine.

The way to avoid it for the most part is to wait until the player has figured out what kind of file it is dealing with. It usually works out the video codec quite quickly but then takes some time to figure out the audio codec.

A very annoying problem. The player is just too slow at figuring out what type of file it is dealing with, and the reboot is clearly unacceptable!.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the long delay in my replying. I updated my Hubs firmware and so I haven’t been using the SMP much lately. I did update the SMPs firmware to 1.07.15 and I tested some old .iso and some new rips. I didn’t get any reboots, so maybe the update fixed it.  I have not updated to the latest SMP firmware as there seems to be another issue with .iso files and reboots.