ISO Causes Random Lockup/Reboot

I don’t get it - all the DVD ISO’s I created cause my new Live Streaming player to lockup or reboot. I can’t watch more than 3-5 minutes without this happening. This is on a 250GB local HD.

I’ve owned a GEN1 and a Live Plus and I never had a single issue. In fact I got so fedup with this thing I reconnected my trusty Live Plus and now the same ISO’s play perfectly.

What gives? Has anyone else experienced this or can offer any suggestions?

Wow, no, never heard of ANY issues with standard DVD ISOs on the SMP or HUB.

I’m not too impressed.

I think this unit is defective.

I tried connecting this via composite to my SDTV with an 8GB thumb drive with only two ISO files - each inside a different folder. It lockedup when I tried selecting one of the folders. After that it would no longer recognize the thumb drive. In fact after a few more device resets and power cycles all I got was the WDTV splash screen followed by a black screen.

I figured it wasn’t automatically detecting the video type for whatever reason anymore - connecting it back to my HDTV via HDMI confirmed that. Yet it still would not recognize the thumb drive or another HD full of ISO files (i.e.
“no storage present”).

Yet even my ancient GEN1 recognizes the thumb drive just fine and everything plays.

I get no lockups or reboots whatsoever, on ISO or MKV Mine are connected directly to a USB external drive.

Neither do I.

• Just to followup: I exchanged my original Live SMP for another one. So far no problems whatsoever after 3 days - the original unit must have been defective.

I have a similar problem.  I have 4 ISOs and stream over SMB.  whenever i try to play any of them, i get a black screen and a spontaneous reboot.  they all play perfectly on my Boxeebox.  Wish I had bought another Boxeebox instead of a WD Live.  That’s what happens when you try to save a couple of buck$.

stromo wrote:

I have a similar problem.  I have 4 ISOs and stream over SMB.  whenever i try to play any of them, i get a black screen and a spontaneous reboot.  they all play perfectly on my Boxeebox.  Wish I had bought another Boxeebox instead of a WD Live.  That’s what happens when you try to save a couple of buck$.

I thought you were taking it back and that was 28 days ago. Only 2 days to go.

Re-rip those DVDs with DVDfab and I can dang near guarantee they’ll work.

So yeah, even though the BB can play them,  there’s SOMETHING about your rips the WD doesn’t like at all.

I have, at last count, about 461 ISOs – of just TV series… and I’ve never had that issue — with ANY of the four WD “Live” players.

Tony, on another thread (same topic) he says he is using DVDFab.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/DVD-ISO-s-wont-get-past-menu/m-p/379041/highlight/true#M7118

Heheh…  I said “Dang near…”   Glad I didn’t go all the way.

That’s interesting though… I’ve never had an ounce of trouble with DVDFab rips…

EDIT - 2012 - April 2:

Moderator moved a “double posted” message from the “idea section” to this section, that already was written at this place to.

So skipped this message and refer / re-direct to that other message for a work around by the following link:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Work-around-when-WD-index-files-are-messed-up-suggestion-update/td-p/380423