iSCSI volume lost, have the .img file but no access to data. Help please, WD support worthless!

Basically, I have a iSCSI target which I cannot access  after re-installing windows because the CHAP “secret”  I thought I knew was wrong.  Although I was told there was no way to acess the .img file by WD, I was able to pull the image using an SSH connection to the EX2 from a hidden folder.  So now I have that file stored locally.  Of course it would just be too easy to be able to mount that file and I understand why that is.  However, through research, I am seeing that it may in fact be possible some how.  

Can anyone please help me with the resources that I have?  I have alot of info that I really do not want to lose and I dont have the funds to pay a data recovery company thousands of dollars like WD support suggested.  Is the .img file encrypted or is it just a FS that windows wont recognize?  Please help and I would really appreciate any info. Thank you.

if the iSCSI target is protected with a username and password.  It would not do any good even with a linux tool to open it. Like WD tech support suggest to find a recovery company is all your best bet.  If you still have access to your NAS, you should be able to change the iSCSI target to with CHAP enable to NONE.  From your Windows try to access your iSCSI target again without a password. 

bda714 wrote:

After being told multiple times by WD support that there was nothing I could possibly do to access my LUN i have gotten to a point that I believe is close to where I am trying to be.  Along the way, there were many times that the support tech’s at WD had told me what was said to be rock solid information, was proven to be wrong. . . at this point I feel like I am better off on my own and hopefully with some help from the community.

Basically, I have a iSCSI target which I cannot access  after re-installing windows because the CHAP I thought I knew was wrong.  Although I was told there was no way to acess the .img file by WD, I was able to pull the image using an SSH connection to the EX2.  So now I have that file stored locally.  Of course it would just be too easy to be able to mount that file and I understand why that is.  However, through research, I am seeing that it may in fact be possible some how.  

Can anyone please help me with the resources that I have?  I have alot of info that I really do not want to lose and I dont have the funds to pay a data recovery company thousands of dollars like WD support suggested.  Is the .img file encrypted or is it just a FS that windows wont recognize?  Please help and I would really appreciate any info. Thank you.

I have gone to the dashboard and tried to change the CHAP security setting to none… is that what you are talking about?  Or are you saying it may be possible to set up a new target to the same .img file somehow?  When I try to set the CHAP setting to none in the dashboard, I am given “Error; Please enter a positive integer.”  Thank you for the reply. 

SOLVED

enable SSH. access through PuTTy. PM me if you need to know more but IT IS POSSIBLE TO RETRIEVE YOUR CHAP PASSWORD AND U/N WITH NOTHING BUT COMMON SENSE.