iSCSI on Gen2 (parts 1 & 2) Hosting & Mounting Targets

The same reason as always— MONEY.

Considering that these units have a single gigabit phy, they make pretty crappy SAN appliances though. However, I can see how they might be useful for personal use by a real admin, or as training aids. (I mean, you use real admin tools to talk with them, and they behave like the real thing… LOL)

It could be that WD did not want to send mixed signals, but if you ask me, if that was the reason, they would not have enabled iscsi on anything less than the EX4.

1 Like

I guess you’re right, money speaks. The problem with this drive is you cant partition it, and thats an issue for me in the way i needed to use it. My the IP cameras see the full drive space and try (and fail) to format the drives. I needed a way to effectively partition the drive, one partition per camera.

I don’t see the point of as dedicated VNR when i have a Linux box on the same network. That’s now the iscsi initiator and has partitioned the iscsi target into the right number of partitions (and exported each separate partition to each camera) and all is well. This would not have been possible without your discovery!.

I could have just used an internal drive but i’m stubborn and have this “nas” to hand.

My interest was piqued when I noticed that the iscsi kernel modules were present. :stuck_out_tongue:

It was then a personal mission to enable the clearly removed functionality.

I really need to work more on my replacement for the RAID manager back-end. Maybe when my EX2-Ultra arrives, I can better interrogate the RAID subsystem, and then I have virtual volume manager (EG, connected external iscsi LUNS) hosted block devices available in the list.

lucky for us you’re the inquisitive kind then! :slight_smile:

How will you do fault tolerance on the recordings? Replication is going to be more difficult using an iscsi lun…

Is your linux initiator going to have a cron job to sync elswhere on a schedule or something?

I dont, it’s only for my home and so not a business… if I really cared about the recordings I’d do as you said and rsync to a different drive/location.

For a while i was thinking about using rclone and sending it to the cloud but to be honest its that important. As long as the drive is not faulty then I’m happy to leave it. there is no manual access to the video files and the management of the files is done by the cameras so while i used to delete the old files via cron, I dont even need to do that anymore.

OK then, carry on! :stuck_out_tongue:

(Another alternative, would have been to use the initiator to grab a second iscsi lun (say from another mycloud), then use the md driver to make a raid1 array out of them, then present the md device to your cameras… that would have done replication “in real time”. You DID see where I experimented with a hardware LUN instead of an image file LUN right? These units have a USB3 port on the back. A big MyBook on that port, and a little console-fu, and your MyCloud could have happily served both. See also my thread on Fun with RAID. You can totally use the console on these units to make your own arrays with disks other than the SATA ones, they just wont show up in the web gui. A symlink does not care about what the GUI says.)

1 Like

I had the same problem, it was very complicated to solve and my backup was not working for a few days… I ended up solving it with an official solution from the link below. What I would like to know is what I need to do so that it doesn’t happen again…

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14166

I too have the Gen 2, but since OS 5, this does not work anymore.
Is there any way to get iSCSI enabled on this (non mirror) device with OS 5?