Is your Live / Plus / Hub picking the wrong resolution in AUTO?

You need to post the

CE video identifiers (VICs) - timing/formats supported

It seems that the unit goes with the native setting in this list.

cew0719 wrote:

OK, I’ve run the moninfo program and this is the only information it gives me.  It seems 1080p is the native resolution being reported by my TV.  So again, why is WDTV Live Plus messing it up?

But it is not reporting a ‘CE video identifiers (VICs) - timing/formats supported’ section in the EDID information. The one(s) reported in previous posts have this section and at least one mode set to Native.

In fact if you look at Native/preferred timing… 1920x1080p at 60Hz
you don’t find it in the Standard timings supported
section.

Something does not seem quite right  about what that TV is reporting.

You might also want to do a Google search on ‘Vizio EDID problem’ Turns up quite a few results.

I’m assuming that the EDID block was only 128 bytes?  Indeed; that’s a bit odd.

Are these actually HDMI interfaces, or are they DVI with a converter?    

Though the CE VIC section is OPTIONAL,   to omit that on an HDMI TELEVISION is wrong from what I can tell.   I’m certainly no engineer, but just reading a few of the patents online about HDMI, the EXTENDED SECTION is REQUIRED in order for the host to determine that the connection is an HDMI interface.

WIthout it, tthere’s no AUDIO information, no VIDEO information (aside from the VESA data).  That’s usually only omitted on PC monitors, from what I can tell.   

Check out THIS:  http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=edidmanager_tc&version=print

It says “…if no CEA-861 data is found, the display may be a legacy model with limited HDTV compatibility.”

It’s no wonder why the WD is puzzled on what to do.

The NATIVE/PREFERRED TIMING section is not the same thing as NATIVE RESOLUTION.   It’s telling the host what frequencies to use on the pixel clocks to achieve the specified resolution. 

So, I’m scratching my head over this one…

But now you highlight a good question:   What should the WD do if the TV refuses to identify its capabilities?  Hopefully they’ll chime in here at some point.

Now, as to why your OTHER devices “Work?”   Who knows.   Are ALL of those doing AUTOMATIC negotation?   My Boxee Box, which is brand new does NOT support AUTO negotiation.   It must be set Manually, as must my TiVo and my 3D LG BD player.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

But now you highlight a good question:   What should the WD do if the TV refuses to identify its capabilities?  Hopefully they’ll chime in here at some point.

It should certainly keep a manually set resolution. With Auto, it should select a “safe” resolution.

Cocovanna

The TV has 3 HDMI ports, my laptop has an HDMI port.  There is no “DVI with a converter” involved.  The HDMI connection comprises AUDIO as well as VIDEO for every device I connect and I do get digital audio (and Dolby Digital or DTS as confirmed by my Pioneer Elite A/V receiver which is connected to the TV via optical digital).

All of the other devices I’ve connected simply work.  I connect the HDMI cable, turn them and the TV on, and they work.  Most devices automatically are set to the highest resolution they support, I did manually set the Philips DVD player to 1080p upscaling.  But every one of them DOES display something at whatever resolution they default to, allowing me the opportunity to manually change it should I choose.  The Xbox, the blu-ray and the laptop automatically came up on 1080p, I believe the Roku defaulted to 720p.  The WDTV Live Plus, however, defaults to something which is completely unusable, I get no picture at all and must use a composite connection just to see the menus.  I can set it to 1080p/60Hz and it will display, but then I get the blinking off/on effect when trying to watch a movie (whether stored locally or streamed, doesn’t matter).

I really hope I get a new WDTV Live Plus that works better.  A Newegg customer service person did tell me that the defect/return rate for these WDTV boxes is very high, hopefully I will get lucky on the replacement.

Cocovanna wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

It should certainly keep a manually set resolution. With Auto, it should select a “safe” resolution.

Cocovanna

Yes! If the WD box would remember the manually set video resolution and colorspace values, this would completely solve the numerous hdmi negotiation issues that have been reported.  I have been posting about this for months hoping that the WD engineers will agree. This is a very simple fix and would solve a lot of problems!

I’m gonna have to retract my position.

I came across a document from VESA, the ones that kinda wrote the book on EDID.

It says that the FIRST NATIVE/PREFERRED timing is what should be used to indicate the preferred NATIVE resolution of LCD panels.   

I guess we’re in the boat where the FIRST is omitted for the SECOND or LACK of extended data.

I would settle for the WDTV box to default to something “normal”.  As it stands now, when the box is rebooted my TV reports the HDMI connection as “Not Supported”.  I must connect a composite cable to the WDTV so I can see the menu and change it to an HDMI connection that is viewable (like 1080p/60Hz… I’ve played with other resolutions/frequencies and they are all viewable, just not whatever the WDTV defaults to).

cew0719 wrote:

I would settle for the WDTV box to default to something “normal”.  As it stands now, when the box is rebooted my TV reports the HDMI connection as “Not Supported”.  I must connect a composite cable to the WDTV so I can see the menu and change it to an HDMI connection that is viewable (like 1080p/60Hz… I’ve played with other resolutions/frequencies and they are all viewable, just not whatever the WDTV defaults to).

I can sympathize with you…Mine usually boots up set at 720p (the only resolution that my TV does not support), and I have to go thru the same deal with the composite video output so that I can change the hdmi output to 1080i. Boy, how I wish it would remember the video setttings!  

Got the new WDTV Live Plus box today.  Thankfully, it boots up and displays on my TV at 1080p automatically.  Evidently, the previous box was seriously defective and the current box does autodetect the correct resolution for my TV.  There is some blinking when the WDTV menus are displaying and during Netflix playback.  Not sure what is up with that.  Playing locally stored video (either from attached USB drive or via network connection to my desktop computer) plays perfect, no blinking.  Netflix, though, seems completely unusable, I have excellent bandwidth, but the video noise/blinking are just too much.  It does display though, so it is obviously negotiating the HDCP signal correctly.

Perhaps I will buy a new HDMI cable to see if that makes a difference,  The one I have is supposedly a very high quality cable.