Is WD TV Live Plus getting slingplayer?

I have the plus and also the hub.  The hub got the update for Slingplayer but I have not gotten an update for my plus in some time.    Is Plus getting Slingplayer?

I would think it’s very unlinkely.   There hasn’t been a firmware upgrade in 10 months.

Thats very disapointing .   I got it in April 2011.   What good is it anymore?   Is this one of the models that can have a custom bios burned into it?

lkruper wrote:

What good is it anymore?

Well, it still does what it was designed to do…

Custom BIOS?  I don’t know of any that have that…

Perhaps it does what it was designed to do.  However a device that bills itself as receiving internet video must be maintained as the industry is still changing rapidly.      The live plus is still being sold on Amazon and advertised on the WD site.    Customers that don’t know what is going on are still buying this product.    As for myself, I would expect at least 3 years continued support for any electronics device I purchase and mine is just over one year.    I should have known better and hopefully won’t make this mistake again.   WD should institute some sort of trade-in program for the “new” devices they obsolete or they won’t get much repeat business.

lkruper wrote:

The live plus is still being sold on Amazon and advertised on the WD site.

ALL retailers are going to continue to sell stuff it still has on its shelves.   Amazon still lists the WDTV HD Generation 1, even though it hasn’t been manufactured in several years.   

Advertised on the WD site?  It is?  I can’t find it anywhere except the support section.

lkruper wrote:

Perhaps it does what it was designed to do.  However a device that bills itself as receiving internet video must be maintained as the industry is still changing rapidly.      The live plus is still being sold on Amazon and advertised on the WD site.    Customers that don’t know what is going on are still buying this product.    As for myself, I would expect at least 3 years continued support for any electronics device I purchase and mine is just over one year.    I should have known better and hopefully won’t make this mistake again.   WD should institute some sort of trade-in program for the “new” devices they obsolete or they won’t get much repeat business.

What type of continued support do you expect for 3 years? Most electronic dedvices are obsolete the moment you buy them.

Here is the link from the WD site.   http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320

There is a support link on this page, and the “where to buy link” is prominent.   It looks like this page is designed to tout the features of the product and entice people to buy them.   I clicked on support.    Perhaps there is something deep down in this section that says the product is on the way out?   I don’t see it.

I bought a Sony google tv and a Sony blu-ray with google tv after I purchased the WD equipment.  I am still getting updates and new features for both of those products.     Companies like WD and Sony advertise that the products won’t become obsolete because they deliver new features on the same hardware with updates.     It is not like WD is out of the streaming business.   The decision to drop a product and continue another is not tecnhical, it is based on financial considerations.  One of the reasons I buy a product from a well known and diverse company instead of some start-up is for the continued support.   

But to your point, yes there is more risk with a product like this than for a pc.  This is why I am going to rethink my strategy.  I bought a nvidia pc with HDMI well before I purchased the WD products.  I bought a second pc for home (Asus) and upgraded both to Windows 7.   Both of these PCs out-perform both the WD and google tv products.   The PCS will be supported for quite some time.  And price-wise, I have now more invested in streaming products than PCs.

I feel really stupid for spending the money on the streaming products because my inexpensive PCS do everything the streaming products do and they do it better.

lkruper wrote:

Here is the link from the WD site.   http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320

Sure.  But all of the pages that link that URL list it as “WDTV For Latin America.”

If you’re in Latin America, then I guess you’re right!

Wow, thats way to subtle for me, considering the entire page is in ENGLISH

It’s actually in most of the major languages.

You’re seeing English because you’re accessing the english version of WD’s website.

Here it is in Spanish:

http://www.wdc.com/sp/products/products.aspx?id=320

:slight_smile:

On another Slingplayer topic,  I did get it working with my hub.     I have not seen much discussion on the performance of this port.     I will be taking it to my second home and trying it out.      The google tv version has some problems which occasionally make it unusable including freezing video and dilation of sound and video.   When this happens I use the PC version and it is fine.   I would be very happy with WD if their Sling app works as good as the PC version.    Have you seen discussion on the performance?

I have the plus and would really like slingplayer. Is there anyway to get 1.09.10 to work on the plus?