Is WD Smartware A Resource Hog?

I’ve got an older computer running Windows XP Pro.  I just connected a new 1.5 tb My Book Essential 2.0/3.0 external drive to it and also installed the WD Smartware, which starts with Windows.  I updated the software and the firmware. At times my computer now slows to a standstill,  especially when I  have IE open and also Facebook open in Firefox.  My computer has speed issues anyway, being an older machine with possible memory module problems (I got the machine for free from a place I used to work at) but a few times tonight it hung while I was on FB.  Now that I closed the Firefox browser window, it’s running faster.

Does anyone know if WD Smartware is a resource hog which noticeably slows down some computers? I don’t have it configured for continuous backup so not sure if it’s the culprit at all.  Is there a chance that the external drive itself could somehow be slowing Windows down?

Yes it can be. I only used it once and uninstalled it.

Joe

until they fix the resource issue, I would just uninstall it.

Thanks. I just did but the slow computer speed remained.  I just updated some drivers and the computer is fast again.   But since I use Acronis True Home Image for backups, I don’t think I need the software anyway.

My answer to Wayne applies here too. Thanks. I just did but the slow computer speed remained.  I just updated some drivers and the computer is fast again.   But since I use Acronis True Home Image for backups, I don’t think I need the software anyway. Can I accept  more than one solution here since I got two similar replies?

1 Like

give it to Joe, he beat me to the draw.