Is WD Mycloud a good NAS choice in 2018?

Hi,

I have been considering having a NAS server recently, the WD mycloud ,although it is getting abit obsolete since the launch of the new mycloud home, but I think it will meet my requirements as I will show you below:

• A cenral network storage in my home so every body can access the photos and videos EASILY and FAST via his mobile device (ANDROID and IOS) or PC(WINDOWS) beside UPLOAD their conent.
  • Abitity to stream media to smart TV
  • Ability to REMOTE access

of course the point above is 100% identical to the WD mycloud but anybody have any recommendations, problems or advices before getting one.

another question, should I do any upgardes in my network/router?

Thanks,

Edit#1: my internet speed is 1Mbps downlad and 0.5Mbps upload.

@mokady

The WD My Cloud Home is not a replacement for the My Cloud. Please read some of the topics on the My Cloud Home. My Cloud Home - WD Community

Visit the Learning Center to learn more about the My Cloud Home.

For me I am sticking with my My Cloud, 1st generation for as long as it works, then I’ll get a 2nd generation. I have had mine for three years without any problems.

You may want to test your internet speed again, here is mine.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, I am not posting to compare mycloud to mycloud home. I just wanna make sure that the ‘mycloud’ will not make any problems or compitability issues while using from hearing from current users.

I happy to listen youra is working well but I got suspecious while I was watching reviews of the ‘mycloud’ and some described it as ‘useless’!

@cat0w I updated my internet speed :wink:

Your the one who started your topic with this.

I am very proud of my My Cloud and with reading about the My Cloud Home and how it works there’s no way I will replace my My Cloud with it.

sorry for mis-understanding.

You may want to watch some of the videos on You Tube about both devices along with those on the Learning Center to see the differences in both devices and how they work.

http://learn.mycloud.com/

1 Like

The second generation single bay My Cloud units will work fine with those general requirements. How easy and fast the My Cloud is to use on one’s local network or for remote access, is entirely and totally subjective.

Bottom line with the single bay My Cloud units is they are what they are, a very low cost NAS device with LIMITED remote access capabilities and with a Twonky DLNA server embedded. There are a number of long standing issues with the My Cloud line of products that stem mostly from quirky firmware and quirky apps/software. The My Cloud Home IS NOT a replacement product for the My Cloud units/line. The My Cloud Home has a slightly different market target and apparently doesn’t get all that good reviews.

There are various competitor NAS products that are more full featured and have more options but they typically cost upwards to two or three times the cost of a My Cloud. Remote access speed is dependent on both the upload speed of the the My Cloud’s broadband connection and the remote location’s download speed connection.

Without knowing what existing network/router hardware one is using we cannot give an answer on whether you should upgrade your router or not. If your existing router is gigabit capable and is working fine why would one need to upgrade to a newer router unless it is to gain more WiFi speed?

Internet speed doesn’t affect local network speed between a My Cloud and a local network computer or mobile device.

For the average Joe home user with one or two computers/streaming devices the My Cloud will work fine. For power users with lots of streaming devices, business users, or users who need multiple devices accessing both locally and remotely a My Cloud at the same time the single bay line of My Cloud units may be under-powered and very sluggish. There are more expensive NAS options with better hardware capabilities for those who plan on using an NAS for business use.

Personally I find the My Cloud single bay first gen unit that I use adequate for my needs (few computers and few streaming devices) despite the various bugs/quirks with the v4.x firmware and slow USB 3 port speed. With the unit’s poor USB 3 port speed and the inability to sleep for any appreciable length of time without resorting to using SSH to disable services and extensively modify the firmware settings, being the biggest gripe I have at the moment. Would I buy another My Cloud unit? Maybe. It would depend on the needs at the time and what I could afford.

to be honest: no. buy a synology or a qnap

Whatever NAS you choose, those up and downlink speeds will limit the remote usability of the device; it will not be any good for remote media streaming.

I do the first three on your list, after figuring out some of the difficulties, it now works reliably. I used to have remote access enabled for file access, but, due to the unpatched security holes that have been identified, but not fixed by WD in anything like a timely or professional manner, I have remote access disabled.

Before you decide to get a NAS you have a lot of homework to do, by reading this forum, looking at WD NAS products and improving your home network

Let’s start with your home network:
You said: “my internet speed is 1Mbps downlad and 0.5Mbps upload” My friend, this is rock bottom internet speed that is useless for streaming media from the internet. People with modern mobile.devices need faster speeds, of a minimum of 50-100 Mbps download.

Internet speed has less affect than the router’s internal speed for the home network. A router today needs to be gigabit speed and at least dual band.wireless. You likely need a newer and faster modem, too.

To examine WD NAS products, go to wdc.com and check Products tab. There are two sections, Personal Cloud and Network Attached Storage. The bottom line products are in the first section and real NAS devices are in the
second group.

Decide how you want to use the NAS. For example, I use mine as a media server, others may do this too or even use for backup, but that takes even more storage capacity.

You just need to do the homework, before, not after a purchase.

Let me add one comment for the OP to this fine comment/suggestion.

Do not assume anything with the My Cloud or any other NAS device. Do not assume that because the marketing materials claim the device can do something, that the device can actually do it the way you assume it is done. A fair number of complaints in this subforum about the My Cloud come from people who assumed it could do something only to find out after purchase it could not.

Edit#1: my internet speed is 1Mbps downlad and 0.5Mbps upload.

I missed this bit in the OP’s post when I replied earlier. If your speed really is 1Mbps, that is on the very low end for download broadband speed. Even worse is 0.5Mbps upload speed. Since one’s remote access speed to their My Cloud is determined by both the download speed at the remote location and the upload speed (0.5 Mbps) of the My Cloud connection, any remote file transfers from the My Cloud will be extremely slow and limited to at most 0.5Mbps.