Is WD media player a dead product? If so, can some one recommend

On the Amazon FireTV as well as any Android device out there.

whydo wrote:

Yeah, itā€™s dead.

Been using an Amazon Fire TV + XBMC and havenā€™t looked back. XBMC is overall just objectively better.

Iā€™m an owner of WDTV, Roku, Chromecast, and as of a few weeks ago, also an Amazon Fire Stick.  Itā€™s nice and has a nice interface and all. but it just seems like a glorifed Roku to me.  The instructions that came with it neglected to tell me how to use it with XBMC.  So, will you explain to me and others here how you use the two together for a ā€œbetterā€ experience?  Is XBMC one of the apps that can be installed on the Stick, or is it more involved than that?

mike27oct wrote: Is XBMC one of the apps that can be installed on the Stick, or is it more involved than that?

Yes ā€¦ but you have to ā€œSideload Itā€  (i donā€™t have a AFTV, but a quick google search gives instructions)

http://sideloadfiretv.com/sideload-apps-amazon-fire-tv-windows/

Thanks Joey, for researching this.Ā  After my late night message here, the only thing I searched for was where I had left my eyeglasses (again!) before I went to bed!Ā  :confounded:

This link is a nice one with suggestions of other apps to sideload.Ā  I assume that the new version of XBMC (Kodi) Ā is to beĀ  sideloaded and not XBMC.

Iā€™ve never used XBMC, so I hope the OP gives somemore specific info regarding using it with the FIre TV.

BTW, before Xmas, Amazon offered the TV Stick to Prime members for just $19 ā€“ it was a no-brainer decision to snap up the offer.Ā  Who knows, they may make the offer again soon.

Hey Mike,

I found this video itā€™s the most easy way to sideload XBMC to the FireTv or Stick.

Hope it helpsā€¦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX7JBDX8Qb4

Hi Otter,

Thanks for the link!Ā  I checked it out and noticed more Youtube videos popped up as suggestions.Ā  So, I may be set to get this going when the time comes ā€“ soon I hope.

Mike

Try the fire tv sub reddit. Ā There is a lot of helpful info and people there.