Does anyone have an answer to the original question?
Fair enough… I’m just so used to the “*bleeping* fix it now you *bleepety-bleep bleeps*!!!” posts that I may have read an intent in your posts that wasn’t there.
These forums are user-to-user. WD rarely (although not never) pops in to say what bugs are being worked on and/or fixed in builds under testing.
To my knowledge, WD has never offered a maintenance release firmware for any of their player products. We only get bugfixes when there’s a whole new build with new features.
So, despite the fact that (to my knowledge) WD would be compiling in the new patched Samba to a future release, there’s no answer as to when that will be released. It could be next week, or it could be a year from now.
WD certainly has never pre-announced firmware releases.
Nobody, either us users, or WD themselves, can tell you how long you’ll be waiting… it’s up to you whether you choose to be patient (and/or install Samba yourself in the interim), or move to another brand of Media Player.
If there ever were to be an official WD statment it will be limited to “this should be fixed in the next release” with no clue as to when that will be, so it won’t really answer your question.