Is there a way to set maximum Share sizes in MyCloud?

Hello All

I am using a 3TB MyCloud device.

I would like to assign a defined amount of space on the device for different Users, and would like to set a limit on the amount of space that my TimeMachine can devour before it starts to overwrite oldest back-ups.

So I guess what I need - but cannot seem to find - is a way to set a limit on the size of each Share.
Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks for any advice!

1 Like

Officially? No there is no way to set a limit on “share size” with the single bay My Cloud device.

Unofficially, who knows. There might be some sort of way since the My Cloud OS is a form of Linux. It is possible one of the other OS’s people are loading/experimenting with may support such a feature.

https://community.wd.com/t/clean-os-debian-openmediavault-and-other-firmwares/93714

Edit: A similar feature request was made in the Cloud Ideas subforum a while back:

https://community.wd.com/t/per-user-quotas/97149

Thank you for your reply Bennor.

I had seen that other users raised similar questions some time ago, but hoped WD might have made a step in this direction.

I guess that a Linux expert could probably set up the raw device any way he wished - but that might mean having to do without all the rest of the nice simple and easy disc-management functions offered by the MyCloud Dashboard - and that is beyond my ability and willingness to invest time.

On the other hand I also guess it may be in WD’s own best interests NOT to allow disk-usage to be “too efficient”, since that might reduce the probability of follow-up sales (or is this being too cynical?)

1 Like

This is something folks have been begging for for years and years. Obviously, it is too difficult as WD still hasn’t provided this feature. Or perhaps there is a hidden method that is not documented.

It is a real pain for Mac users that use Timemachine on the WD NAS products. Yes, Time Machine is brain dead as it keeps growing the size used. On macOS /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine MaxSize no longer seems to work on NAS drives. So once again, please WD give us sizes on shares!!!

I would love it, if someone could straighten me out and show me that WD is supporting share size limits.

1 Like