Is there a way to enable Wireless while plugged into a USB port?

As noted in the subject. Is there a way to use a usb port from a computer/hub to power the drive with wireless on?  I don’t need direct attached storage while doing this. I just want to be able to power the drive from a normal USB port (well, my hub to be specific). 

This thread suggests that enabling the Device Locking functionality would allow for the device to be powered by a USB port with wireless but there was no confirmation that it works. Does anyone know if thise works?  

Are there any other ways to enable the wireless while plugged into a USB port (hacked firmware or otherwise)?

Thanks.

It is best to power the MPW with its AC power supply or another sutable power bank w/5v, 2A output, but not a PC USB when using wirelessly.

I understand it’s “best” to power off the AC adapter (or equivalent) but I’d like to carry the drive between two locations (work and home).  I’d prefer not to have to bring the AC adapter each time as well. Particularly when I have a perfectly good USB hub at one of them that could power the device if only I could get the WiFi to work at the same time.

Thanks for the response though. I guess this device really isn’t for me.

Don’t assume the device isn’t for you.  Neither WD’s nor Seagate’s wireless drive works wirelessly when attached to the PC USB.  One reason being that computer USB ports haven’t enough current to run or charge the devices.  They both need 5v at 2Amp output.  This is a common output of many chargers today.  An iPad charger will charger them just like the charger that comes with the drives.  The solution is to have a charger at BOTH locations.   What you should have at work is a 5-port charger that can charge your phone, wireless drive and any other gadget while at work.  Anker makes nice ones and I have one for home and one for travel. so it is convenient to get up and go.

I don’t have any issue charging wireless passport while letting my computer charge it at same time

Ooops, I really goofed up on that last post.  I mean to say, I do use my wireless passport wirelessly while charging via a USB connection to my computer.  No issues.

decider wrote:

Ooops, I really goofed up on that last post.  I mean to say, I do use my wireless passport wirelessly while charging via a USB connection to my computer.  No issues.

Can you explain how? Everything I’ve seen suggests plugging the drive into an active (data capable) USB port shuts the wi-fi off? 

Thanks.

There is a setting in the admin dasbhboard. It is under hardware/Drive Lock.  Turn drive lock on and then you can charge from a computer USB port and use wireless at the same time.

1 Like

My current hub supports 1A per port which should be enough to run the drive. I don’t care about rapid charging, just enough to keep it running.  My hub doesn’t have a dedicated charge port though so if I plug the drive in it will go to Direct Attached Storage and disable the WiFi (AFAIK).  I could buy a new hub with charging ports (or another dedicated AC charger) but it irks me why the drive was designed this way.  I understand the technical limitations in that the physical drive inside the box can’t connect to 2 USB hosts at the same time (the built-in wifi host or the computer host) but a simple physical switch on drive would have allow you to select which you wanted.  That said, I’m still looking at it. The fact you can hack the the built-in OS intrigues me as well.

decider wrote:

There is a setting in the admin dasbhboard. It is under hardware/Drive Lock.  Turn drive lock on and then you can charge from a computer USB port and use wireless at the same time.

Cool.  Another thread mentioned this but they couldn’t confirm if it actually worked or not.  Good to know this does work. Not the best solution (I’d prefer a switch/button on the case itself) but it’s a viable workaround. Thanks.

True, but there may not be enough power from the USB port for prolonged use unless the USB port is one of the newer charging ports.  This is what the MPW user manual says about this.

“If the drive is connected to your computer with a USB connection, the USB port doesn’t provide enough power to charge the battery. Plug the drive into an outlet through the USB power adapter to recharge it.”

So, it may work with a powerful USB port on PC.

Maybe one of these would help: http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/portapow-fast-charge-data-block-usb-adaptor/

No. That won’t help the OP at all.

RoderickGI wrote:

Any reason why that won’t help. It blocks the data use etc so the drive will not be recognised by the USB port and the WiFi stays on. You basically just need to use a USB cable which has no data connection just power.

I think the OP’s desire is to use any old “regular” USB port to CHARGE the device while using it powered up.

AFAIK, it’s not possible because the active drive requires more power than the 500mA a standard USB port provides.

But I’m speaking out of my ear here because I’ve no direct experience with it.

If it DOES charge, it’d do so very very slowly.

richUK wrote:

RoderickGI wrote:

Any reason why that won’t help.

Because turning on the Drive Lock feature does exactly the same thing; disconnects the data connection to the drive.

It won’t increase the power available. Whatever his USB port provides, that is all he will get.

Actually Phobia says he has a 1A USB port to connect to the MPW, and that should power the drive in wireless mode with the Drive Lock set. After all, a 0.5A USB port can power the drive in data mode as a normal USB drive.

Maybe Phobia has tested this by now, and can share his results?

So saying it won’t help at all is not strictly true, then is it? If someone wants to power their MPW from their USB hub in one location and access it via USB in another, it would be a good solution.

Well, it adds no additional value _ to the OP _ over just turning the Drive Lock feature on and off, which takes a moment.

If someone wants to carry around one more piece of gear, keep it safe, don’t lose it, and finds switching the Drive Lock feature on and off as required too much effort, then maybe they perceive that it provides some help. I don’t.

The device is otherwise a good idea and useful for lots of people, but not really for the _ question asked by the OP _.

interactor wrote:

So saying it won’t help at all is not strictly true, then is it? If someone wants to power their MPW from their USB hub in one location and access it via USB in another, it would be a good solution.

It’s another option particularly if you don’t want to fiddle about in the dashboard. The OP would have preferred to have an external switch.

There may well be the added benefit of an increased charge defending on the inner workings of the mpw.