Is there a risk of data loss when using multiple WDTV Live Hubs on the same network?

I have a WDTV Live Hub for my primary television, but like many users, it lacks the storage capacity I require.  I’ve read other threads that say there is the potential for data corruption when using multiple hubs on the same network.  My critical data is backed up on multiple drives, but I don’t have the capacity or funds to backup the growing 1TB+ I store on my hub.  It seems pointless to buy the WDTV Live for my bedroom TV when my current hub is running out of storage and needs additional space.  Before I purchase my second hub, I have some questions:

1. Will my two hubs communicate and access files from each other’s drives, i.e. I can view content on hub 1 that’s stored on hub 2?

2. If the two hubs are simulatneously playing content, is there any risk to the data stored on either device?

3. Can the same file stored on either hub be utilized simultaneously by both players without issue?

4. Is there a maximum number of hubs allowed on the same network?

5. I have frequent power losses at my home.  Is there a way to prevent auto-powerup following a power loss, short of installing a UPS?

Why would you try to network multiple hubs to get more storage space when, for instance, a 2TB WD My Book Live is cheaper than a new hub, has twice as much storage, and interfaces with the WD Hub easy as pie…

I have one hub currently and I need a player for another room.  To buy a WDTV Live and a 2TB external HDD would cost at about $250.  Buying a second hub combines my needs into one product and while I lose 1TB of storage capacity, I save $75 overall.  I don’t have an immediate need for the extra TB of capacity.  I’ll just buy a MyBook Live some day down the road when my storage volume needs increase.

If all you need is another PLAYER for a different room, why get a HUB when you can get a WD LIVE, (All the network features, but none of the storage) for WAY cheeper than a 2nd hub.  

[All Products: Shop Hard Drives, SSDs, USBs, & Memory Cards | Western Digital

](All Products: Shop Hard Drives, SSDs, USBs, & Memory Cards | Western Digital

I need both an additional player and more total capacity.   Thus, I need the hub.

Need?  Not if having two hubs on the same network corrupts data, you don’t need it… 

my 0.02… Get your WD Live for in the bedroom…  Be frugal with storage space until you can afford the 2TB Live and network that all together.    

I have a hub and a 2tb Live and I LOVE the storage capacity  ;-) 

Do you have any lag time when accessing the network drive from either player?  Does the network drive run all the time or only spin up when accessed?

I have not experienced any lag time while a file was playing… It can some times take a small handfull of seconds to access the Live drive initially, but that paltry wait time is MORE than tolerable.  

I turned OFF the “media server”  on my Live drive, so now it ONLY  spins up when accessed.  And accessing it via the Hub spins it up just fine.  (That when you might see a lag time of maybe 5 or even 6 whole seconds  ;-)    

For what it’s worth… I have the Live Hub upstairs in the study, with several USB drives attached via USB hub. I then have 2 Live TV SMP’s (1 wired, the other wireless) and they both access shares hosted on the Hub - I’ve run this for 6 months or so now with no issues. I have accessed the same film on both SMP’s at the same time - no probs. I’ve not tried watching a film on Hub whilst streaming o SMP.

Ptb2012 wrote:
For what it’s worth… I have the Live Hub upstairs in the study, with several USB drives attached via USB hub. I then have 2 Live TV SMP’s (1 wired, the other wireless) and they both access shares hosted on the Hub - I’ve run this for 6 months or so now with no issues. I have accessed the same film on both SMP’s at the same time - no probs. I’ve not tried watching a film on Hub whilst streaming o SMP.

Out of interest are all of your Lives using the Media Library and access exactly the same network shares? Tony found that it’s possible for the Media Libraries to get corrupted if two or more Hubs or SMPs were using the same network shares.