Is the WD TV Live HD worth it?

I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks and have been mostly happy with it. I cannot play mp4s with 5.1 channels audio eventhough my AV receiver supports them. Of course, using analog you get  stereo sound. I’ve not tested all of my movies/files but so far so good.

I liked the fact that it popped up in my sidebar as soon as I connected a network cable. I can -slowly- transfer files to the attached HDs. I tested SMB file sharing and worked and I’ve just installed a DLNA server and will see how it goes with that.

Next will be finding a way to access my iTunes library from my WDTV-L

My options were buying a Mac Mini with Plex or a Dell zino HD and load linux + XBMC on it. For a fraction of the price I got most of the functionality.

If i had to choose again… I’m not sure but I think I would tend to pick a HTPC for flexibility but hey I like to play with these toys.

Previous post on If WD is worth it.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-General/Loaded-question/m-p/5200#M2201

Lack of WD support makes it hard to recommend WDTV

From this News and Announcements post in case you missed it:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/Community-Restructure/td-p/7019

This means any number of things but I’m assuming it means better WD support. Only time will tell really but it’s at least a glimpse as to what the future could hold.

I hope it is a change they could use some tech support on the forum. WD could have saved themselves a lot of griping with even a small amount of visibility from thier tech support. At least it looks as if someone is at long last looking at the feature requests

I agree - even just faking that they are interested would have saved them a ton of bad press.  Actually helping out?  Priceless.

@ nijaju

The latest Announcement thread regarding ‘Community Restructure’ simply refers to changing the categories around and moving all the WD TV Live sub-forums under a new WD TV Live category.

That’s it.

I’m not sure how you could read anything more into it; I’d certainly not extrapolate that it means “better support”.  They simply re-organised the forums to how they should have been structured in the first place.  :neutral_face:

And it certainly doesn’t make the WD TV Live a more attractive purchase.  I’m again coming to a low in my love for the product, thanks to resurfacing network issues I’d though I’d ironed out.  Not feeling value from the “Live” networking features when I have to walk to my PC, wait for a 2GB file (or multiple files) to transfer to a USB stick and then walk back to the unit to play anything.

Still not worth it.  Wait until a new firmware is confirmed to resolve the many significant issues with networking and codec support.  It’s a product with huge potential but that potential remains locked away for now.

I know this was posted a long time ago, but now that Popbox has been announced at CES, I’d say wait for that. There is absolutely no support from WD and though it does a few things well (streaming 1080p x264 mkv movies), thats where it ends. There have been no real firmware updates with new features since its launch. I’m telling everyone to wait for one of the new set top boxes. Just wish I didn’t already recommend the WD TV Live to a bunch of people that bought them already.

I am also so far impressed with the PopBox, for 130 I intend to buy one as soon as they come out and will push my WDTV back to my bedroom.  Not because the WDTV isn’t working well for me - it is. But because I think the PopBox has a much much nicer interface, and support for additional features over the net that I think are cool.

If the WDTV was 1200 I’d be upset to purchase and embarrassed to recommend it, and …but at 120?  Its a great box.

Regardless of the support, its working out VERY well for me.

Not if you want to play mp4

http://www.boxee.tv/box

i think the BOXEE will be the WDTV LIVE Killer, unless WD get’s their act together and release some firmware with some real upgrades.

You need to review the specs and the posts in this forum.  Then you need to comparitively shop around.  If after your reasearch, the product does what you want it to, it is worth it to you.  No different from buying a car or anything else for that matter.:smiley:

For everyone having the skipping, pausing, flickering picture issue:  

Just press the reset button on it and you’ll be fine. I had the exact issue with my WD TV HD Live and called tech support.  They advised the reset of my WD and it’s been working flawlessly ever since!   Hope this helps.