Is the WD RE4 WD1003FBYX a good choice for a desktop computer?

Hello Western Digital,

I wonder if the WD RE4 WD1003FBYX is a good choice for a desktop computer??

I want to buy this drive because ive heard its a good stable and failsafe drive and very fast, so its best of both worlds

But ive heard that a 24/7 drive can be critical with frequently powering on and off, about 3-4 times a day, is that right?

so my question is if this drive can fail if its powered on/off 3 times a day???

thanks for any answer

Greetings from Holland

Hello,

I don’t think that will be a problem, however is no recommended to turn off the computer so often. This action could affect another part, if possible turn the PC on and leave it on until you finish using the unit.

No, this is not a good choice for desktop use unless the drive is being used in a RAID.  RE drives have TLER(time limited error recovery), which means the drive will not spend much time trying to recover from a read/write error.  RE drives are assumed to be used in redundant environments, and that it is better to fail quickly.

This is not true with a single desktop drive.

acording to this article, TLER working on a desktop drive is still possible:

While TLER is designed for RAID environments, a drive with TLER enabled will work with no performance decrease when used in non-RAID environments.

here is the link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1397/p/227%2C283/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwNjY5NDE1NC9zaWQvcmE1Wmlidms%3D

So my conclusion is that this drive will work safely on a desktopcomputer with NO raid controller, or do you think other wise?

thanks for your replies:smiley:

DickVD wrote:

So my conclusion is that this drive will work safely on a desktopcomputer with NO raid controller, or do you think other wise?

thanks for your replies:smiley:

I have had no problems yet with an RE4 in a non-RAID setup.

It’s going the other way that there are issues… a non-TLER drive in a RAID array tends to drop out of the array and have the entire drive marked as bad as soon as it encounters a bad sector.

I think iam going to buy this WD RE4 harddisk, but ive another question:

In the specification sheet is says:

Load/unload Cycles : 600.000 minimum.

what does this mean? is this powering on and off?

thanks for your answer,

greetings from **bleep** from Holland

It’s not just powering on and off, but that’s included as well.

Old hard drives didn’t necessarily move the read/write heads off the platters when the drive was shut down (or in idle), and this sometime caused problems when the drive was started back up.

Nowadays the sliders that carry the read/write heads are moved physically off the disk surfaces when the drive shuts down (or is placed in idle).

Basically, WD is warranting that the mechanism should be good for 600,000 such cycles.

My 1003FBYX reports a total of 1,098 power on hours, and a Load Cycle Count of 56.  At this rate, I shouldn’t hit the 600,000 cycles for 11,764,286 hours (1,342 years).  I’m guessing something else is going to fail long before I hit the LCC rating. :wink:

Even my Caviar Green reports a total of 17,825 power on hours and a LCC of 901.  I should hit its 300,000 cycle rating in 5,935,072 hours (677 years).

My Hitachi is 31,609 hours and LCC of 874.  I’m not sure of it’s rating, but even if it’s only 300,000 cycles, it should hit that in 10,849,772 hours (1,238 years).