Is the PR4100 compatible with WD RED Pro Drives larger than 14TB?

I was interested in purchasing the PR4100. When reading the manual, it mentions that the NAS is compatible with RED Drives up to 14TB. I however noticed there are also RED Pro 16TB and 18TB for sale. Are these higher capacity drives compatible as well? I am aiming to go with a 4x16TB setup (not raid)

When I purchased my first PR4100, the same unit you have, it said on the BOX that maximum per disk is 6tb, now on the box it says 14tb per disk, and nothing changed…
They say maximum per disk , since the WD Lab did not try bigger capacity disks with PR4100, they say this to cover their warranties etc.
if I had blank 18gb disks, I would put them right in knowing that they are compatible 1000%
The only thing I did, was move to 5200rpm disks, since 7200rpm makes a bit of noise.

Can confirm PR4100 works with 16tb seagate exos (shucked) drives, both with OS5 and OS3

Anyone know if the PR4100 will definitely work with 4 WD Red Pro 18TB Drives running OS3? Confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

I tried adding 2 18TB drives and it looked like the only way to do it was to erase the data on the 2 existing drives (they’re WD Red Plus 12TB). The 18’s showed up in Disc Status but not under Raid, the two existing are JBOD and I want to add the 18TB’s as JBOD too.

Is there a way to add the 2 18TB’s without erasing the 2 existing 12TB’s? If so could someone give me detailed instructions?

Greetings,

We have reached out to you via direct message, so we request you kindly check and reply to your DMs so that we can assist you further.

18TB are supported, no problems there! Over one year in use. I do have the WD RED ones.

If you have a RAID 5, you can easily extend your volume. but you must do it through the Raid configuration settings. There’s an option to enlarge the volume. Just follow the NAS’ instruction to the letter! I extended from 8TB drives. You can have different sizes (18 with 12), but it won’t gain you any advantage in sizes above the 12TB. You must have 4 of the same size (18TB in this case) to really extend your volume size.

1 Like