Is the My Book Duo SNMP capable?

Perhaps I’m not finding it, but is there a place in the menu to set up SNMP monitoring for this device?  If not, does anyone know how to monitor the drive in Nagios?  It seems odd that this wouldn’t be supported, but I can’t find it.

I’ll answer my own question in case someone else is trying to do the same thing.  The answer is yes, but not out of the box.  This probably voids the warranty also, so proceed at your own risk.  But if you need to monitor the drive like I did, it works.

Here’s what I did:

1.  Update the firmware

2.  Go to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip address of the drive) /UI/ssh and enable ssh.  The user and password are given in the menu.

3.  Connect to the drive via ssh

3.  aptitude update - you’ll be warned that you need to install gpg keys.  Find these four keys & enter the following:

gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

gpg -a --export  XXXXXXXXXXXXXX | sudo apt-key add -

where XXXXXXXXXXXXXX is the hex key that you receive in the error (you will likely have to do this 4 times)

4.  aptitude update

5.  aptitude install snmp

6.  aptitude install snmpd

7.  useradd snmp

8.  Edit the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file as appropriate.  Use a net search to find more on this one.

1 Like

Looks like aptitude doesn’t install the start commands.  So to make sure it starts properly when powering up you need to do this:

ln -s /etc/init.d/snmpd /etc/rc0.d/k84snmpd

ln -s /etc/init.d/snmpd /etc/rc6.d/k84snmpd

ln -s /etc/init.d/snmpd /etc/rc2.d/s16snmpd

ln -s /etc/init.d/snmpd /etc/rc3.d/s16snmpd

ln -s /etc/init.d/snmpd /etc/rc4.d/s16snmpd

1 Like