Is netflix coming to the WDTV LIve

I really hope so, I have been waiting, and waiting for netflix on the WDTV Live, and finally it does, but there is one problem, its on another completely different device.  Will there be an update to get Netflix on the WDTV Live, it just seems ridiculous for WD to try to make you pay for another device just for the netflix.  They just seeem to be trying to cash in.  The WDTV Plus would merit the plus if it had built in wifi, maybe. 

Maybe the DRM*beep* is only supported by a newer version of a SIGMA chip.

serach for Sigma in this forum

wdtvuse11 wrote:

I really hope so, I have been waiting, and waiting for netflix on the WDTV Live, and finally it does, but there is one problem, its on another completely different device.  Will there be an update to get Netflix on the WDTV Live, it just seems ridiculous for WD to try to make you pay for another device just for the netflix.  They just seeem to be trying to cash in.  The WDTV Plus would merit the plus if it had built in wifi, maybe. 

It has already been announced by WD that Netflix will not be coming to the current WDTV Live.

I assumed this feature was coming when I bought my WD HD TV Live. Now that I see we were snubbed I will certainly NOT be buying anymore of these sorts of media players from Western Digital. If and when I decide to get a player that includes Netflix I’ll be buying from one of WD’s competitors instead. You really blew it with this decision WD.

Attikai wrote:

I assumed this feature was coming when I bought my WD HD TV Live. Now that I see we were snubbed I will certainly NOT be buying anymore of these sorts of media players from Western Digital. If and when I decide to get a player that includes Netflix I’ll be buying from one of WD’s competitors instead. You really blew it with this decision WD.

The problem is not with WD, it’s with people making unfounded assumptions:

• Netflix support was never advertised at any point. 
  • The Live hardware simply does not support it (lack of DRM in hardware, demanded by Netflix not WD btw).  
  • There was no snubbing.

The Live has just been given an exciting firmware update that adds a lot of new functionality that brings it almost in line with the Plus model (Netflix aside), hardly the action of a company that just wants to snub its customers.

I can appreciate the feeling of having purchased at the wrong time, yet no way of looking at it can I see how that makes everything WD’s fault.

Good luck in your search for a new media player.

There IS however a problem with WD, in that they do not support devices that are really not that old. I would understand if the original WDTV was 5 years old. It is not. How long until the Live gets NO MORE updates?

I am done buying gimped boxes that are dropped by their companies in a year (or less). It’s not worth spending $100 every few months for new features when an HTPC for $500 will last you the same (or more) length of time and give you many more features… WDTV Live is my last dedicated media steamer …