Is my drive dying fast ? Should I be worried?

Hello, so I am a game lover, I love playing games and I sometimes develop them, these 2 past weeks have been harsh to me, Unreal Engine 4 loading slowly, Battlegrounds and other games stuttering every 5 seconds randomly and sometimes extracting a 150mb WinRaR folder is taking 3 to 5 minutes, I decided to check if my driver is dying, I donwloaded CrystalDiskInfo 7.9.5 (x64) and what a surprise, after opening it it showed me this : Imgur: The magic of the Internet (thanks moderator Trancer for the heads up :slight_smile: )

So my question now is, how long do I have until I will have to get another hard drive ? Should I be really worried about these errors or not ? (I don’t have past experiences with dying HDD’s)

To mention : I’ve had this Hard Drive for 5 years now , so maybe it’s time to say goodbye ?

According to Google, your drive is already past the average lifespan of a generic drive.

Nothing there looks terrible in my personal opinion (the only number over the threshold is the Reallocated Sector count - this link should explain what those are https://kb.acronis.com/content/9105), although I would as-always recommend backing up any important data - you don’t want to have to go to data recovery (it’s REALLY expensive) if it does die. Does everything pass in Data Lifeguard Diagnostics?

I would continue to monitor the reallocated sectors as well - if they keep climbing rapidly that would be an indication the drive is failing.

As to the speed issues, it sounds to me like something is using the drive heavily versus something being wrong with the drive. Make sure you don’t have anything running in the background. Common software that I’ve come across that could be reading or writing to a drive include things like torrent programs, anti-virus software, media libraries, and yes - high-end games - especially ones with un-optimized code.

PS - I modified your post above to post your edited screen in your post.

Ok, first of all thank you for the help :slight_smile: And about that Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, after I download it what should I be looking for ? An extended test ?

Hi: luc4m4rio

Always backup you hard drive. (so you do not have to worry about it failing)

Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

Macrium Reflect Free

See 2TB WD Black second HDD slows to a crawl in Windows 10

Its always good to have spare hard drive when testing for hard drive problems.

I would backup the current hard drive and restore the data to a new hard drive.

Then test the hard drive with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (current version 5.27)

Follow the instructions to create a bootable USB.
Turn off you computer and remove the sata power connector from all the hard drives.
Connect the hard drive that you think may be defective.
Turn on the computer.
Set your bios to boot from a USB device.
Type dosdlg.exe

Select WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE and do a full erase.

It should take about 2.5 hrs depending on the computer (2 to 2.5 hours per tera byte).

It not only erases the hard drive but it also checks to see if it is working properly.

if the drive is defective it will come back with an error code that WD support wants for a RMA.

If the hard drive passes format the hard drive.
Then goto http://hdd.userbenchmark.com and find the read and write speeds for your hard drive.
Download CrystalDiskMark - Crystal Dew World [en]
Benchmark the hard drive.
The speeds from crystalmark should be close to the ones at userbenchmark.

If they are not
Userbenchmark Read 100MBs Write 100MBs.
CrystalDisk____Read 100MBs Write 50MBs.
or
CrystalDisk____Read 50MBs Write 100MBs.
Then the hard disk may slowly be dying.

NotaCanada

quick update, Ok so I used the “Wipe free space” tool in CCleaner and the Current Pending Sector Count error seems to be gone (not yellow, I guess that’s a good thing .?)

Alright, so this is what I got

The problem with tests like that is that if something else is using the drive it will affect the results the same way.

Do you have access to another computer where you could connect the drive? What did the extended test in WinDLG show?

Hi: luc4m4rio

WD WD5000AAKX Blue 500GB (2010)

Min Read 71.8MB/s Write 66.7MB/s
Avg Read 102MB/s_Write 99.6MB/s
Max Read 123MB/s_Write 123MB/s

Your crystal disk mark benchmark of you hard drive
Read 104MB/s Write 97MB/s

You still need to test the hard drive so backup the C:\ drive.

Download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (current version 5.27)

Follow the instructions to create a bootable USB.
Turn off you computer and remove the sata power connector from all the hard drives.
Connect the hard drive that you think may be defective.
Turn on the computer.
Set your bios to boot from a USB device.
Type dosdlg.exe

Select WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE and do a full erase.

It should take about 2.5 hrs depending on the computer (2 to 2.5 hours per tera byte).

It not only erases the hard drive but it also checks to see if it is working properly.

If the drive is defective it will come back with an error code that WD support wants for a RMA.

You might want to read the following article in regards to Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology for hard drives.
(0xC6): Uncorrectable Sector Count

NotaCanada

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I didn’t want to create a new topic just for this and based on this topic board I see you’re all very knowlegeable about interpreting crystaldiskinfo reports.

If anyone could spare a second and could tell me if I should be worried about these results?
I’m espacialy warried about readerror rate current and worst 200 but threshold is 51. So it exceeded the threshold 200 times? That cant be good right?