Is it possible to SSH into mycloud from the internet?

I have a mycloud NAS at home connected to an ISP router (dynamic IP address). Is there a way of being able to SSH into the NAS when away from home? Would portforwarding in the router and a dynamic dns service suffice?

TIA

Luis

racingkoala wrote:

I have a mycloud NAS at home connected to an ISP router (dynamic IP address). Is there a way of being able to SSH into the NAS when away from home? Would portforwarding in the router and a dynamic dns service suffice?

TIA

Luis

Possible but dangerous :dizzy_face:

Yes it is very much possible. Enable SSH access from the mycloud control panel, then set port forward from the router. I am using dyndns.org to reach my clod when I am on a different network.

When you first login I would change change the root password and perhaps add a new user with sudo privleages.

Having root shell access to a device is um usually not a good thing to have :wink:

Case in point:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Has-my-MyCloud-been-hacked/m-p/700500#M10086

Onyxdragun wrote:

When you first login I would change change the root password and perhaps add a new user with sudo privleages.

Having root shell access to a device is um usually not a good thing to have :wink:

+1 to this ^ . I enabled SSH and port forwarding and it took about a day to get hacked. Forgot to change the default password. Real stupid.

Change the welc0me password to a strong password.

1 Like

For what it’s worth - I’d recommned using the latest version of Putty instead of WinSCP because when you log on you end up automatically at the command line which is simpler to use than the WinSCP command line. Putty.jpg