Is it possible to play DVD & CD from the Hub into a stereo system without a TV?

reason for no TV is mine is a Sony 36 inch CRT 95 Kg monster & NOT green at all 380 watts when on …I have a Sony DV600 hi fi 5 .! Av system (no scart socket but yes opto!! & RWY RCA inputs.

Maybe I could use my Dell mini Xp netbook & USB to see what the WD hub was doing = any ideas? & it would be good to use the USB input ports on the Hub to feed in multiple cd in mp3 for easy listening…

The hub has a composite video output. Do you have any video inputs on your TV.

Hi Rich Many thanks for reply - looks like I posed the wrong ??!! sorry

what I want to do is to play the WD Hub say my music (mp3) out into my sony hi fi (legacy product in spades = like its owner…) so I can hear the music without the high wattage Sony TV on all the time

As it is my old CRT TV setup is amazing as,thanks to this forum & medic, I can go on line with google using a wireless mouse & Kb…

I believe th Hub has A/V output, so the L/R signal can go into an audio amp and no TV has to be on.  Know that you HAVE to use the cables that came with the HUB, because all other A/V cables are different configurations.  You may need to add a stereo cable as an extension (using female/female couplers) to reach your amp inputs.

mike27oc t wrote: Know that you HAVE to use the cables that came with the HUB, because all other A/V cables are different configurations

incorrect, the WDTV Live Hub use standard RCA cable outputs, you can use any RCA to RCA cable you want

Also of note, all video outputs are “Active” … meaning my Hub is connected to my 42" TV Via HDMI and is also connected via COMPOSITE to a 7" portable dvd player with AV Input and lastly connected Via Component to an Avermedia HDD Recorder… All 3 at the same time.

sample pic:

OK, Joey, I surrender.  You set me straight once again.  OK, in my “defense” I have a Live Plus unit, and it has the single pin A/V out jack, and the cable for THAT is definitely specific to the Live Plus.  I think I have seen the back of the SMP, and I believe it, too, has just a single pin A/V jack (correct me if I am wrong!).  It appears the Hub has more room for separate jacks than the smaller units.  This is a “plus” over other WD players with only the single pin output.

OK, so Video is active on Hub at all outputs, and how about the audio (at same time)?

No probs mike :smiley:  (yes, i know about the other units … i have an Old WDTV Live with the 3.5MM to RCA lead)

The Hub Audio when set to “Stereo” will output simultaneously to all …  RCA, HDMI and OPTICAL (at the same time)

However when set to “Digital-Pass Through via Optical or HDMI”  then it becomes output specific (you lose Analog RCA Output … and then it’s either Digital Optical or HDMI but not at the same time)

Many thanks U ALL for superb info - & it look to me as if its Very possible to play the hub audio (once selected on the TV & then switch the TV off and still have audio via a hi fi unit

Note I have just ordered an opto 1M cable from amazon UK £3.50 & free deliver…to expirement.

BTW I switched off the TV just now & the audio from the hub stopped so the TV SCART nightmare   must be all in the RW RCA audio line - hopefully the new opto cable will be a neat by pass…

Joey >>>  The Hub Audio when set to “Stereo” will output simultaneously to all …  RCA, HDMI and OPTICAL (at the same time)

Yes, same can be said for the Live Plus.  I have my player’s audio set to “Stereo” so HDMI output goes to TV, and then on to analog stereo amp.  Also, audio from player’s A/V output goes to audio switchbox, and on to audio amp.  I do same with my Roku audio out and HDMI.  In this way, I can listen to audio from either WD player and Roku without TV on if I choose to. 

This is a fading feature of media players it seems, because the top-end Roku now only has HDMI out, meaning the only way to listen to audio from it would be via TV.  I hope future WD players still retain the two ways of outputting audio/video.

1 Like

well Posted & I join in hoping WD will take on board the essential feature (if u want to be greener) of audio output without the TV having to be on