Is back-up a "black box"? Looking for answers

How does one view what has been backed-up? Is there a log that shows files, programs, etc, backed up…and maybe, file size, date backed up,time it took to back-up. I have a WD Passport Ultra Lite External drive. Thanks! I cannot seem to find the answer in their manual for this model.

You didn’t specify if you are using WD Backup software or some other option. The answer depends on what you used, so my response is somewhat generic.

Most of the time, specialty backup software offers a way to browse your backup, so you can check your files and restore pieces you want. If you are simply using your drive as a location to copy files to, you should be able to browse it like any other location on your computer.

I used the software that came with the WD drive.

I believe that’s WD Smartware, right? You should be able to run that software on your computer, with the drive plugged in, to view the contents of the backup. There should be a tab marked “Retrieve” next to the Backup tab, where you configure what you want to back up.

Thanks! I’ll check it out when I get home tonite! We are planning to convert from Windows 7 to 10, and just want to make sure we are as prepared as we can be. I’ll get back to you on this–thanks!

1 Like

Good luck! I have upgraded multiple systems from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and never lost a file. But it is possible to make a mistake and lose something, so you can never be too careful!