Is a computer necessary?

Hi all, I’m considering buying the My Cloud. Reading the literature, I’m led to believe you need either a PC or Mac computer. Is this true? I have a very old Macbook Pro with maybe days to live at the most, and I don’t plan to replace it, but instead use only my ipad and iphone. Will I need the Macbook for the initial setup only? Thanks!

I would say, yes, you need a computer to set up any models of the My Cloud (BTW, you are in the basic My Cloud forum, and this device was discontinued a year ago. You need to look at the NAS products from WD of today.)

I use my NAS mostly with iPhones and iPads, but there are times I need to access the NAS from wired media players on the home network, and a computer helps to manage them and other devices on my network.

If you do not want to spend money on a new pricey Mac, consider having a lower end Win PC for lots less money.

Steer clear of getting a My Cloud Home, which is not a NAS and has disappointed many who bought it. Get a real NAS from EX or PR series. Just do your research on these things.

1 Like

You do not absolutely need a computer but it may make things easier than trying to type things in on a mobile device’s web browser (screen).

The bottom line is that for almost any real NAS, the My Cloud Home IS NOT a real NAS at this point, you typically/generally need to use a web browser to access the NAS administration screen to configure the device. Or a software program/mobile app in certain cases may be needed. Once configured some NAS units can be further administered using SSH or similar protocol.

1 Like

Thank you both for your helpful responses. Had no idea the product was being discontinued. A salesman in an electronics store just talked it up to me and I returned home and looked up the manual online. But now I have a whole lot of additional research to do, thanks.

The problem is some salespeople and customers are confusing the My Cloud Home with the My Cloud. They are not the same device. the My Cloud Home is very different from the My Cloud.

The My Cloud Home has a two toned/style case.
51eHNnBMnmL

The My Cloud has one single color/style case.

Make sure to look at the physical box if you can to ensure which you would be buying.

Yes, many people have reported here that Best Buy salespeople are pushing the HOME as a replacement for the original My Cloud and are calling it a NAS, when it is not. It does have some of the traits of a NAS, but many of the important things about a NAS are not in the device. All we can say is people who had the My Cloud found the new HOME missing some of their favorite attributes and features. See the HOME forum for the many comments.