iPhoto MyCloud Fail - Any ideas?

I really want to like my 4TB WD Mycloud, I really do.  

It doesn’t seem to work, It doesn’t seem to work for me and it doesnt seem to work for most of us on this user forum.

I haven’t owned it for that long, but one of the things I wanted to do was to create a copy of my 150 GB iPhoto library in a share on the MyCloud drive.   I have tired connecting my Macbook directly via an unfettered GB Ethernet connection as well as a directly USB drive attahced to the MyCloud.   No matter what, the copy process is brutally slow and it always fails after 5+ hours and only 4GB later.  Yet I’ve copied the same150 GB to a USB drive in about 30 min.  

Ive tried using SSH terminal to do a direct copy in linux, tried reformating the machine, tried trouble shooting with the WD techs (total failure) etc etc ec -  Like many other customers, I have wasted a considerable amount of time trying to make the value proposition of this product come true.  I wish I had read this forum before I put my money down.

I wonder are there any options to extract  some better value here?  Anything I can do to hack this thing and use the drive as plain jane storage?  

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Canada

Are you copying files from open iPhoto application to the MyCloud share?

I also had issues with the speed on MyCloud 4TB system, I was also getting the same issues you have where it freezes almost.

I removed everything , then did a FULL factory restore, then copied everything back.

I now get speeds from MacBook Pro 2012 of 30MB/s if I copy photo albums from within iPhoto to the MyCloud share.

On Windows 8.1 over gigabit I get copy speeds over gigabit lan of average 60MB/s up to 90MB/s since the Factory restore.

In an SSH session run the commands below, this will stop the thumbnail and photo indexing

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable