iOS App auto reduces images when performing file management

It seems the iOS app is automatically resizing JPG images in certain circumstances.

I have Dropbox and Onedrive set up.

Downloads to local folder:

When I download an image from Dropbox to the local download folder in the iOS app, the image size remains the same.

When I download an image from Onedrive to the local download folder in the iOS app, the image size remains the same.

When I download an image from my WD MyPassport Wireless to the local download folder in the iOS app, the image size remains the same.

Unfortunately, there is no way to directly “download” files from your camera roll to get them into the local dowload folder (more only why I bring that up later).

Uploads from camera roll:

When I upload an image (which is say 4.8 mb) to my from my camera roll to Dropbox or my WD MyPassport Wireless, before it’s even uploaded the image in the activity part of the iOS shows a smaller file size (e.g. a 4.8 mb image will be 2.7 mb), and the result uploaded file is 2.7 mb and not the original file size.

When I upload an image (which is say 4.8 mb) to my from my camera roll to Onedrive before it’s even uploaded the image in the activity part of the iOS shows a smaller file size (e.g. a 4.8 mb image will be 2.7 mb), and the result uploaded file is 263.4 kb mb and not the original file size. In this case, the filesize has reduced from 4.8 mb to 0.263 mb !!!

Conclusion : uploads from Camera roll always have images reduced in filesize, and majorly so if the destination is Onedrive.

Copying and pasting from local downloads:

When I copy an image from from the local downloads directory and paste it to Dropbox or my WD MyPassport Wireless, the activity shows the full file size of the original image, and the resultant uploaded image file is indeded the full size of the original.

When I copy an image from from the local downloads directory and paste it to Onedrive, the activity shows the full file size of the original image, but the resultant uploaded image file is far less smaller than size of the original (e.g. 5.8 mb goes down to 219 kb !!!).

Final conclusion:

I cannot use Onedrive to paste any image from any source – the filesize reduction is too bad.

Transferring files using copy/paste to/from Dropbox and WD MyPassport Wireless via the local downloads directory, or even directly using the app as a relay works fine with no reduction in image filesize.

So initially, I thought I would rule out using Onedrive, and just use Dropbox and my WD MyPassport Wireless.

However, as stated above, you cannot get images from your camera roll into your local downloads directory directly, and the only method is to browse to a “remote” destination like Dropbox or WD MyPassport Wireless, where in all cases the “Add Photo” option for uploading an image from the camera roll ALWAYS reduces the image size. Shame there’s no way to have the “Add Photo” option available in the local downloads directory, as copying/pasting from there to either Dropbox or WD MyPassport Wireless keep the image file size intact.

I’ve looked at all the possible settings in the iOS app, and cannot find any confirguration paramter that suggests changing the image filesize while using file management tasks.

Any ideas ?

Welcome to the Community. Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Regards,