Invalid User Name or Password Error - Fix

Hi everyone,

Many of you may know this already but thought I would share as this has been a right pain for me!!!

Ever since firmware 3.04.17 there have been issues when trying to reconnect back with newtork shares, such as NAS, and getting the dreaded  invalid user or password error. The only work around I coud find was to roll back my firmware to the last known version before I wasn’t getting this issue, 3.03.16.  I have, however, found the following steps to rectify this issue.

2 key learnings for me - you MUST do this for all new firmware updates AND after any NAS re-boots.

1. Update your Live Hub to the latest firmware via USB

2. System => media library => media library manager for network share => delete any existing network connections

3. System => device reset => reset all settings back to factory default

4. Now connect to your NAS as normal and you should no longer see any dreaded invalid user or password errors when connecting to your NAS.

WD - can we get a fix for this please!

Thanks for sharing this workaround

As fate would have it, after adding another WD TV Live to my network I got the same issue AND my original suggested fix failed. After spending 2 lost days on this, I have finally found a lasting and stable fix. It appears that I had a network share folder issue.

I am currently accessing my media content from a QNAP NAS. It turned out that I had failed to activate the NFS permissions and specify rights access for each WD TV Live. Instructions to do so can be found here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFS#NFS_sharing_from_commercial_NAS_systems_such_as_Synology_or_QNAP

After setting this up it was simply accessing each WD TV Live via system=> media library => media library for network share => add network share => select Linux share (no idea why Linux but it was there!) and simply select the visible IP address.

Job done - seriously why WD have not called this out earlier I have no idea. 

Hope it helps!

I can’t see how a change in firmware would account for your need to modify NFS permissions on the QNAP…

A permission change is completely server-side.  On the QNAP, permissions are only based on IP address.

A WD firmware change cannot change server-side behavior…

I agree with your logic, however, up to firmware 3.03.16 it was simply a case of connecting to the network share, punching in the server user name and password and everything connected.  But trust me, the 2 firmware releases since 3.03.16 killed both my Live Hub’s when connecting to the network share.

Now, if I have not modified my QNAP in anyway prior to the firmware releases and I have a confirmed known working state, it has to be down to the firmware as it’s the only thing that’s changed.  As I said earlier, after updating the NFS settings today, normal services was resumed and it is still stable. 

So if it’s not the firmware what caused my issue to start with, what did?

Fifewarrior wrote:

I agree with your logic, however, up to firmware 3.03.16 it was simply a case of connecting to the network share, punching in the server user name and password and everything connected.

• *I think youre confusing things. NFS has never asked for userid or password.

Maybe your doing too many steps if we are talking the same thing all I do is delete the source then go to clear login info  and then unplug unit start it back up and reenter login info. By you doing a device reset is clearing the login info. So try just clearing then turning of this will save a device reset

I have given up on trying to connect to any network shares after it just stopped working one day.

Now I just copy stuff to the internal HDD to watch it.

WDTV Live … yet another media player that has failed to live up to my expectations  :cry:

Ok I just registered in order to provide the solution that I found for my “password” issue. I also started having issues with my network share. Where it would say that there were no media files or that the" password user name" were incorrect. I tried all kind of things from resetting the router and the media player to re-sharing the drive and folders multiple times.  After reading the forums and not finding the solution to my problem I continued trying to fix it my self. The solution to my  “Incorrect password and user name” was really simple. When I tried to see the drive in my network the log in window would come up. I tried typing the wireless password and UN, the network password, all the passwords and user names combinations that I could remember. after having no results I tried one last thing, I did a  “reset the network share log in” in the media player then went back to the video window and selected the network share option, then when the log in window poped up, where the user name says “anonymus” and password “xxxxxxxx” I just click OK or selected the check mark. Boala!!! I was able to see all the folders in my usb drive connected to the router. I hope this helps someelse and I am sorry for the long story. If this helped you please give me kudos and reply so other can solve their problem! thanks

2 Likes

Thanks rafter, just leaving it anonymous + blank password worked for me as well. Unexpected :slight_smile:

achmo wrote:

Thanks rafter, just leaving it anonymous + blank password worked for me as well. Unexpected :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t be – it says so in the user manual.  ;)