Interpreting SMART results

I have a suspect (semi-regular errors requiring CHKDSK repair) WDC WD3200AAJB-000J3A0 with the following results

Value                Threshold         Worst                Warranty 

Raw Read Error Rate: 200                    51                      200                      1

Spin Up Time:               135                     21                     135                      1

Start/Stop Count:          100                     0                        100                      0

Re-allocated Sector     200                   140                     200                      1

The rest of the thresholds are “0”  so if the Values and Worst values are needed please let me know.

The SMART result is PASS… yet it appears there are 3 items which are valid for Warranty, unless I am interpreting the results incorrectly.

Can someone advise on the state of this disk? Its not even a year old.

I think the ‘1’ in the warranty column means that IF there are problems with that attribute, THEN the drive is valid for warranty. However, your drive’s values seem OK:

Raw Read Error Rate: Value 200, Threshold 51, Worst 200

Reallocated Sectors: Value 200, Threshold 140, Worst 200

Spin Up Time: Value 135, Threshold 21, Worst 135

As you can see, none of the attributes have dropped below their given threshold. The first two attributes are still at 200, that’s the initial value of new drives. Spin up time has degraded a bit, but that’s probably nothing to worry about. My drive has a spin up time of 172 and never had any problems with it.

Thanks. SOrry that the formatting on the message got a bit borked!

Also, I had the impression that higher numbers were worse, but that appears not to be the case?

Yes, in the Value / Worst columns, lower is worse and higher is better.

What about the following attributes, is their Value / Worst also 200?

-Current Pending Sector Count

-Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count

-UltraDMA CRC Error Rate

(attribute names may vary a bit depending on testing tool)

See this article for SMART info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

You can think of the normalised attribute values as health scores. This means that, except for temperature, higher numbers are better.

Hi

Drevin is correct when asking to see the values for

-Current Pending Sector Count

-Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count

A year or two ago I had a WD drive that about monthly gave CRC/ECC errors requiring CHKDSK repair. Typically I would lose the file that was under the bad sector. I heard about HDDSentinel in these forums, installed, and saw (for the first time) those error counts. 

Anyway I went and bought a new (larger!) drive and copied everything to the new one, and reformatted the old one (maybe twice). Since then it has not experienced a single problem. My theory is that the drive had changed in some subtle way since the original formatting.Whatever the reason, it seems to have fixed it. Hope this may work for you too.

I also noticed high temperatures showing in the SMART info from Sentinel, and added a fan to the front of the tower, blowing onto the drives. The difference in temp is remarkable.

Thanks all for your info, and sorry for the slow reply! I’m using the Western Digital Lifeguard diagnostics Windows version to pull this data

The other info requested is:

Current Pending sector count: Value, 200 - Threshold, 0 - Worst, 200

Offline uncorrectable sector count   Value, 100 - Threshold, 0 - Worst, 253

UDMA CRC Error rate:  Value, 200 - Threshold, 0 - Worst, 200

The Offline uncorrectable sector count appears non-optimal…

Hi,

I actually tried the WD Lifeguard program first, but I’d recommend you install HDDSentinel or another equivalent program. Then you can see the actual figures. The “Value” figure is an interpretation - it does sometimes happen that even with many errors, the “Value” sticks at the top 200 (or 100 in the case of some drives).

Anyway, with Sentinel, you can see the “Data” column which will show the actual count of Pending Sector Reallocations etc.

By the way, by default the Data column is in Hex. Right-click in the column and choose “Decimal data fields” for readability. Let us know what you get.

I suspect that some attribute values are shown as “253” until the drive has gathered enough SMART data for them to be considered statistically significant.

Hi,

We have had 3 hdds die in the last 2 months! (1 Seagate 3.5" SATA, 1 WD 3.5" SATA, and a Samsung 2.5" SATA)

We just purchased a new Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS
(2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive) and it seems about 50% of the people buying them are having them either DOA or die within 3 months. I am dreading going through this again. 

We’ve already lost a ton of data and it’s taken me about 3 weeks to recover some of it using various PC recovering programs.

I REALLY need a reliable drive to start over on. I’m beginning to think this drive was a bad idea and I can’t stand the idea of losing more data after what we just lost, which leads me to my next question. I ran a S.M.A.R.T. scan that was included with a WD hdd utility and it gave me some results that, even after reading the help files, I don’t fully understand if I should be concerned or not.

Can someone please tell me if the following results are good for a brand new drive (2 days old)?

Value                Threshold         Worst                Warranty 

Raw Read Error Rate: 200                    51                      200                     1

Spin Up Time:               206                    21                      187                     1

Start/Stop Count:          100                      0                       100                     0

Re-allocated Sector     200                   140                     200                     1

Are the Warranty: 1 items meaning they are bad and should be sent in for a hdd replacement if the

drive is under warranty?

Any help would be great. If I have another hdd crash on me I might just throw all of our computers out

and use a pencil and paper for all of my data entry needs.

Thanks!

Data LifeGuard’s warranty column indicates whether a particular attribute will qualify your drive for replacement if its value falls below the threshold. Such attributes, eg Re-allocated Sector count, are considered critical. Other attributes, such as Start/Stop Count, would reflect wear-and-tear and would therefore not be warranty-able.

That said, you will get a more detailed view of your SMART data with either of the following utilities:

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/

Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

See this article for SMART info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.