Internet access

Hello everyone. This is my first post.

I got a WDTV media player for christmas and only recently got it up and running.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Can you access the internet through the player? If so how do you go about it? There are websites I would like to access tv shows through such as www.seesaw.co.uk but I have no idea if I can do this or not.

If not is it something that could be correct through an online update directly into the box? or would I have to wait and purchase a newer model?

Being in the UK I have never heard of pandora. and as I see it will not play here due to copyright etc.

Is there an equivilant or am I goosed?

Many thanks

Webbo

There are a couple of threads in the Ideas Lab that you should go vote for.  :)

Internet Browser

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/Wd-tv-live-internet-browser/idi-p/12002

Support for General Internet Radio Streams

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/Support-for-general-internet-radio-streams/idi-p/227

Votes in the Ideas Lab increase their priority with WD.  

webbo1971 wrote:

Hello everyone. This is my first post.

I got a WDTV media player for christmas and only recently got it up and running.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Can you access the internet through the player? If so how do you go about it? There are websites I would like to access tv shows through such as www.seesaw.co.uk but I have no idea if I can do this or not.

If not is it something that could be correct through an online update directly into the box? or would I have to wait and purchase a newer model?

Being in the UK I have never heard of pandora. and as I see it will not play here due to copyright etc.

Is there an equivilant or am I goosed?

Many thanks

Webbo

The only things you can access in the UK is youtube, live365 and flickr. There may be more in the future but thats up to Western Digital.

I’ve got BBC Radio 1, 2, etc and Capital FM streaming through mine ok… and I’m in the US.

You need a media server.  I use the free version of TVersity.  Lots of advice on here.

hobbes79 wrote:

I’ve got BBC Radio 1, 2, etc and Capital FM streaming through mine ok… and I’m in the US.

You need a media server.  I use the free version of TVersity.  Lots of advice on here.

It’s not something I’d really looked into (since Pandora works for me) but TVersity is actually fairly easy to set up to stream Shoutcast internet radio streams.

Brief Tutorial

Set up TVersity with radio streams:

1.  Install / open TVersity

2.  In Library, select Internet Media > Internet Audio

3.  Click ‘Add Item’

4.  Paste in the stream URL*, make the Title and Menu the name of the radio station

5.  Press ‘Submit’ and you’re done!  

To play the stream:

1.  Go to Music in the WD TV Live menu

2.  Select Media Server.  

3.  Select TVersity.

4.  Select the Internet folder

5.  Select your radio station!

I’m currently listening to .977 The Hitz Channel (which is unfortunately now blasting Miley Cyrus, gah!!).  Lets try ChroniX Aggression instead…  :)

* Getting a proper stream URL is easy but not immediately obvious.  For ShoutCast stations, the link on the ‘Tune In’ button isn’t the correct link.  You need to actually press the button and download the .PLS file, then open that file in Notepad to get at the true URL.  There’s a YouTube video here that illustrates it better:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAwYkkLcNB0

The basic point is that all the extra stations listed above are accessed via a computer and media server and not directly using the WDTV Live.