Installing ocaml - dependency errors

Hi everyone, I am trying to compile the SVN version of unison on my Mybook Live.

To do this it requires the ocaml tools. When I apt-get, I get dependency errors, does anyone have any idea how I could go about installing ocaml?

mybook:~# apt-get -f install ocaml 
Reading package lists... Done 
Building dependency tree 
Reading state information... Done 

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. 
The following information may help to resolve the situation: The following packages have unmet dependencies: 

ocaml: Depends: ocaml-nox (= 3.10.2-3) but it is not going to be installed E: Broken packages 
mybook:~#

Thanks in advance

I am now trying to compile ocaml from source, getting an error.

mybook:~/compile/ocaml# ./configure
Configuring for a powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu ...
gcc found
Unable to compile the test program.
Make sure the C compiler gcc -O is properly installed.
mybook:~/compile/ocaml#

Any ideas?

I don’t know how much of a customised version of Debian Linux it is on the MyBook Live, but be aware that you could be onn the road to breaking the NAS’s operating system. I would love to get my MyBook Live doing more stuff, but at the same time I don’t want to find myself with a bricked MyBook Live.

I bought my MBL about a year ago now, thinking it would be a great dropbox replacement. As provided I found it very clunky, and nothing like dropbox, so it has sat unused ever since.

So potentially bricking it is a risk I’m willing to take for dropbox-like functionality. 

Thanks for the heads up, though :) 

If anyone can help here, please chime in, otherwise I’ll keep plugging away, and updating with information. 

I use the FTP service on my MBL and for shuttling files DropBox style works quite well.  :slight_smile:

With the method you are using, are you just mounting the drive? Or are you running some script to automatically sync changed files, keeping a working copy on each machine you use?

I’d prefer to use sftp, or ssh, which is another reason I want to use unison.

The latest version of unison has a great flag “-repeat watch” which will monitor any changes made to files within a specified folder, then sync just that changed file, almost instantly. No need to compare a massive amount of files each time you want to sync.

Did the syncing manually.  Did write a script to perform time and date comparison.

Now I shuttle files between devices as and how I need as I once messed up a file on my laptop which faulfully messed up the the file on the NAS.  Doing it manually makes sure if I mess-up a file on a computer I have a chance of recovering a valid file from the NAS.

I currently use Unison 2.40.63 on all my machines inluding the MyBook Live (currently at v02.11.09-053). I can post a copy if you would like.

Steve