Installed Firmware Update - DLNA Still Not Fixed

Thanks for confirming what I originally thought:  MyBookDuo with the new so called “DLNA”  is incapable of working with ANY stereo component.

Bummer man. Have you called their Tech Support? When you consider how much these drives cost I think WD should spend more time testing instead of rushing to market.

Not much they can do about it.  I am just going to chalk it up as a learning experience.  I plan to strip out the two drives inside and use them in a new Synology.   Which of course “just works”.

We are getting the Marantz receiver in to test. We shouldn’t have to do individual compatibility testing for DLNA devices .There are billions of DLNA compatible devices - so tough to have one of each to test). This is the promise of DLNA - we do our certifications testing - and get certified by the DLNA org. That in therory is supposed to guarantee certification with other DLNA certified devices… but alas that is not always the case.

It looks like the Dennon receiver is made by the same company (D&M Holdings) as the Marantz one, so we will look at the Marantz first to see what we can find.

Tony

The Marantz is a NA7004 Digital Music device connected via Ethernet.  The Duo DLNA appears  on the front panel but no response after selecting it.  No folder structure at all comes back.  As near as i can tell there is no communication.  I am using the NA7004 with its latest firmware but in the past regardless of firmware it always worked well with WD Myboolive 3 tb.

We got this exact model number of Marantz in house and tested this morning. It sees the Duo fine and is able to play music from the device. We test MP3 files. We are going to test more file types and are udpating the Marantz to latest firmware (we tested it out of the box with no firmware update).

So it seems now we need to figure out what the differences in your network settings are. Are your running a router with PPPoE? How is the Marantz connected to the network? Same for the Duo…

It is connected to a Cisco E4500 router.  the DUO is connected to the same router.  Everything at default settings.

What model Duo do you have?

Also, how are you connected to your service provider (who is it), and is it PPPoE?

I have the 6TB version.    I guess this is PPPoe.   In the router I am using DHCP but I have reserved some IP addresses so they are assigned all the time.   The DUO, Marantz etc all have assigned IP addresses when looking in the router config.  There is nothing in there that says PPPoe.    I would assume that is a default configuration.

The Internet service is provided by Time Warner Roadrunner via a CISCO cable modem.   It uses a dynamic assigned IP addresss. I am able to get the WD iPAd apps to work from outside just fine.   Every thing works except DLNA.

I have the DUO connected to one Ethernet port and the Marantz connected to the other.  I have the MbBookLive 3 TB connected to another Ethernet port and the Marantz sees it fine.   I just did a reboot of the Router, The DUPO and the Marantz and still no go.

Ok I found the settings in the router.  It is set to Automatic Configuration(DHCP) its default.  In the pull down menu there is a PPPoe but that is not selected.

We noticed that before the firmware was updated on the Marantz player - everything worked. After firmware update is when things stopped working. We need to analyze the traces coming from the device to see why it fails. Will let you know.

Thanks.  I forgot to mention that I am using the Airplay firmware purchased from marantz as an upgrade for 50 dollars.  It should be the same as the normal firmware except Apple Airplay support is enabled within it. 

I have upgraded the firmware about 5 times total and none of those upgrades disabled ability to talk to the MyBookLive 3TB Twonky or any other DLNA.  I also checked performance yesterday with a Denon 4308 receiver and it is also no go.  I checked with a Harman Kardon AVR3650 unit and also problems.  The Harman Kardon is made by a different company then the Denon/Marantz units.

I confirm that I have also experienced the same problems as jw100.

My   Marantz NA7004  will not display the directory structure on the My Book Live Duo.    But will happily browse the Directory structure of a TVMobili server running on my iMac.  Also have seen the same Marantz in the shop happily browse an older My Book Live running Twonky.

There is something about the new DNLA server implamentation that has changed.

MyBookLiveDuo Firmware  02.31.08-067

Media Server Version   2.2.3.9068

The firmware on the Marantz came with the Airplay option.

Tom,  can you provide an update on where you’re at with this?    I purchased the MBLD specifically as the media server for the Marantz .  Neither unit was cheap.

Sorry.  Meant to say Tony - are you able to provide an update on this problem?

Discovered an interesting behavior - that gets the Marantz and the  MBLD talking.

If I set the Maratz  with DHCP ON,  but leave the MBLD with a fixed IP address,  and then I DISABLE DHCP at the router, and re-start the Marantz,  the Marantz will not find the DHCP server, and will instead allocate an address  169.254.10.64.

This is apparently within a reserved IP address range, and UPnP devices can allocate this to themselves if they don;t get one from a DHCP serever.

ANYWAY.  When the Marantz has this address  -  the MBLD will respond to it.  But when the Marantz has an address in the same subnet - it wont  respond to any M-SEARCH requests that the Marantz issues…

By the way - the above discovery  is not a Solution.    Turning DCHP on the router OFF is not a practical  option.

What is does show however is that part of this problem relate to the way the DLNA implementation behaves based on IP address variations.     I have begun to trace the activity using a Packet sniffer, and will report here on what i find.  -  Would also apreciate an update from WD. 

We are still investigating the two DLNA receivers that have been talked about here (Marantz and Denon).

Another device i would like to point out is the PS3.

I did find a workaround though i am sure its not correct. If my WDMBLD is already running (green light) the media player will not be shown on PS3 when i switch it on. However with the PS3 on if the WDMBLD is in standby/rebooted/powered on it shows. I am sure WD would not have planned it that ways.

PS3 v4.21

Media server v2.2.3.9068

[edit] same post already exists on the forum on the day of the update [/edit]

One more device: Pioneer VSX-922 AV Receiver. It’s a pain to listen to new music. I have to rescan and restore database on MBLD to get new music discovered by receiver. Music from other computers is discovered fine.

Upd: forgot to say: MBLD for some reason ignores track numbers in tags and sort tracks alphabetically. 

Problem “solved”! Installed Twonky 7.0 and going to buy it for $20 when trial month will expend. Because nothing else helped.

BTW, it consumes much less CPU. Native server used 30-100%, and  Twonky — less then 10%, usually less then 1%.